What's new

Can I password protect or disable the Ethernet ports on my Asus AX86U and AC68U routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Is there a way to password protect the ethernet ports on Asus routers (specifically the 2 mentioned in the title) or at least disable them?

Password protect? No.

Disable them? Possibly with a script. Did you try using the 'Better search' function of the forum?

Password protect? No.

Disable them? Possibly with a script. Did you try using the 'Better search' function of the forum?

I did, to no avail. Okay, follow up question. If I put an AC68U in AIMesh-Node mode doesn't that disable its LAN ports and USB port? What about Repeater mode? I'm waiting on a DSL-AC68U currently...

Last resort, I can just drop some superglue on the ports, disassemble the router and tape them over from the inside with electrical tape. I'm never gonna need them. But it seems kind of extreme. I can't believe no commercial router has the functionality to disable ethernet ports or password protect them, it seems like such a basic functionality. Powerline adapters have passwords on their ports -- for obvious reasons, but how hard can it be to implement.

I haven't used PLA's extensively, but I have never seen passwords on them.

These are not commercial routers. They are consumer products.

AiMesh doesn't disable ports either.

Repeater mode may, but depending on the router and firmware.

I did, to no avail. Okay, follow up question. If I put an AC68U in AIMesh-Node mode doesn't that disable its LAN ports and USB port? What about Repeater mode? I'm waiting on a DSL-AC68U currently...

Last resort, I can just drop some superglue on the ports, disassemble the router and tape them over from the inside with electrical tape. I'm never gonna need them. But it seems kind of extreme. I can't believe no commercial router has the functionality to disable ethernet ports or password protect them, it seems like such a basic functionality. Powerline adapters have passwords on their ports -- for obvious reasons, but how hard can it be to implement.

Noooo Glue ! You can get RJ45 physical port locks on Amazon, alternatively there are ways to do it using VLAN and directing the port to nothing. Unfortunately I am not smart enough to tell you how to do this. I think there maybe firmwares that make it easier. Depends how far you want to go.

Unless you disable all LAN ports either physically or through firmware as long as someone can get physical access to the a router and at least a single LAN port is functioning all they would need to do is plug an Ethernet switch into this port and then they have the ability to connect multiple wired devices to the router.

Even if you lock the router in a secure box all that is necessary for someone to do to gain access to the network is cut one of the Ethernet cables, terminate both sides of the cut cable and plug a switch into the run and they have wired access to the LAN and an un-managed switch with not show up as a connected client. Many switches are small enough they can be hidden even inside a wall.

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Is there a way to password protect the ethernet ports on Asus routers (specifically the 2 mentioned in the title) or at least disable them?
Is you mean securing access to your ethernet port to people you allowed, you could use Mac Address, and allow only devices/pc with corresponding Mac Addresses (or nobody), i am using it to add a layer of security to my Wifi network, and if i am correct with Freshtomato you could do this...

This is a weird question, usually people want to secure their wifi network, but for the ethernet port usually no :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!