What's new

Can I switch from Merlin back to Asus firmware on my (now) outdated AC56U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zjohnr

Regular Contributor
I have been using, without actually paying all that much attention to, an Asus RT-AC56U I apparently purchased back in Feb 2014. :oops: It has been/still is running the last supported version of Merlin, 384.6.

I am considering installing the last Asus RT-AC56U firmware that I see on the Asus website, 2019/11/05 version 3.0.0.4.382.51641. My main motivation for doing this is that this update appears to be a tad more recent and thus may have some fixes I don't currently have.

Can I do that? That is, can I just download & unpack the Asus site firmware and then install it on my AC56U to replace Merlin 384.6? Or do I need to do any other prep work to avoid a potential pitfall I am not aware of?

Sorry to trouble the community over this, but, as I say, I have been mostly oblivious to my router for over 6 years now. Not sure what I may have missed while I was zoned out. :oops:

-irrational john

I have been using, without actually paying all that much attention to, an Asus RT-AC56U I apparently purchased back in Feb 2014. :oops: It has been/still is running the last supported version of Merlin, 384.6.

I am considering installing the last Asus RT-AC56U firmware that I see on the Asus website, 2019/11/05 version 3.0.0.4.382.51641. My main motivation for doing this is that this update appears to be a tad more recent and thus may have some fixes I don't currently have.

Can I do that? That is, can I just download & unpack the Asus site firmware and then install it on my AC56U to replace Merlin 384.6? Or do I need to do any other prep work to avoid a potential pitfall I am not aware of?

Sorry to trouble the community over this, but, as I say, I have been mostly oblivious to my router for over 6 years now. Not sure what I may have missed while I was zoned out. :oops:

-irrational john
You can but I would factory reset first, backup your settings, and manually put the settings in after you flash to the Asus based firmware. That way its all nice and clean. That has served me well in my experience with changing firmware on routers for Asus, Meraki, Netgear, and PFsense systems.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!