What's new

Can I use 2 Asus routers one as a actual router and the other as a Access Point ? Need both to provide Wi-Fi as well. Is it easy to do mostly?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
This would be on AT&T Fiber.

How does Asus routers determine which router to connect to over Wifi ? Does it work seamlessly ?

The 2 routers I want to use is a new ASUS RT-AX86U AX5700 and a old ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Wireless-AC1750.

Any disadvantages of doing this ?

Should I just use the ASUS RT-AX86U AX5700 instead ?

How does Asus routers determine which router to connect to over Wifi ? Does it work seamlessly ?

The 2 routers I want to use is a new ASUS RT-AX86U AX5700 and a old ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Wireless-AC1750.

Install the AX86U as your only router... it may be all you need for WiFi coverage.

If you need to extend WiFi coverage, you can wire the AC66U B1 in AP Mode; or add it from within the AX86U webUI as a wired/wireless AiMesh node.

Be sure to first install and then reset current firmware before configuration from scratch. If you use the AC66U B1 as an AiMesh node, you reset the firmware but do not configure it... adding it to the AiMesh will do that for you.

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore
WPS Button Hard Reset

OE

Install the AX86U as your only router... it may be all you need for WiFi coverage.

If you need to extend WiFi coverage, you can wire the AC66U B1 in AP Mode; or add it from within the AX86U webUI as a wired/wireless AiMesh node.

Be sure to first install and then reset current firmware before configuration from scratch. If you use the AC66U B1 as an AiMesh node, you reset the firmware but do not configure it... adding it to the AiMesh will do that for you.

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore
WPS Button Hard Reset

OE

I think your right.

Our house is right around 1900 sq ft.

Use the AX86U as the main router connected to the AT&T ONT. Use at least a CAT5e cable from the WAN of the router to the ONT. Yes, you can use the AC66U_B1 as an AiMesh node to spread the WIFI. I have been testing just the same setup here.
Some settings recommendations:
On the AX86U WIFI use Dual Band Smart Connect, Use just WPA2-Personal, to start with use 20 MHz on 2.4 GHz and 80 MHz on 5 GHz with Auto Channel selection but do not use DFS channels. DO not change any professional WIFI settings. Once tou have added the AC66U_B1 as an AiMesh node set the WIFI channels to fixed. I use channel 11 for 2.4 GHz and channel 48 for 5 GHz.
In the WAN area disable UPnP, and choose a filtered DNS service like Quad9. Encrypted DNS also is a good idea.

Use the AX86U as the main router connected to the AT&T ONT. Use at least a CAT5e cable from the WAN of the router to the ONT. Yes, you can use the AC66U_B1 as an AiMesh node to spread the WIFI. I have been testing just the same setup here.
Some settings recommendations:
On the AX86U WIFI use Dual Band Smart Connect, Use just WPA2-Personal, to start with use 20 MHz on 2.4 GHz and 80 MHz on 5 GHz with Auto Channel selection but do not use DFS channels. DO not change any professional WIFI settings. Once tou have added the AC66U_B1 as an AiMesh node set the WIFI channels to fixed. I use channel 11 for 2.4 GHz and channel 48 for 5 GHz.
In the WAN area disable UPnP, and choose a filtered DNS service like Quad9. Encrypted DNS also is a good idea.
Thanks good ideas!

I think your right.

Our house is right around 1900 sq ft.

Barring any major obstacles to radio like mass masonry, the AX86U may serve enough WiFi.

My install notes may suggest some basic configuration clues, but no AX notes yet.

OE

It would be stupid to make the ASUS RT-AX86U AX5700 just a access point right ?

This would be from a AT&T Fiber connection router/modem.

It would be stupid to make the ASUS RT-AX86U AX5700 just a access point right ?

This would be from a AT&T Fiber connection router/modem.

It would be unfortunate use of a good wireless router.

Ideally, replace the ISP gateway/router with the AX86U. Report the make and model of the ISP equipment and the ISP services you are subscribed to. Someone here will likely be able to list your options for using your own router.

OE

You could use the second router (RT-AC66U B1) as a means to add more than just wireless APs. You could install FT (FreshTomato) and create additional IP networks containing *both* wired and wireless clients (e.g., Guest or IOT networks).

By taking this approach, you add capabilities NOT found in the primary router, namely, the ability to add arbitrary networks that can be wire based (VLANs), wireless based (APs/VAPs), or both (by bridging the prior two).

At least that's what *I* would do given the same situation.

Thanks everyone! Huge difference in latency! Really like this upgrade.

Was well worth it!

The Ring app is even faster connecting. Plus downloading from the app store on my iPhone.

When using two or more Asus AI capable routers, is it advice-able to use one as the main router and the others as access points giving the same SSID/PW or go for a AiMesh (either merlin or stock) in a building where theres many (about twelve) wireless CCTV/IP cameras?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!