What's new

Can Merlin be setup to use a VPN on only one AC5300 channel?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qwerts

New Around Here
Hi,

I have the AC5300 and what I want to do is have one 5ghz channel access the internet reporting my actual IP and the other 5ghz channel use a NordVPN connection. I currently have Nord setup and works great but just a hassle to have to turn on and off when I need the VPN connection with the app. (and my wife complains her connection drops :p) Is this something that is achievable with Merlin? For the curious; I do international location based website testing and being able to connect my business laptop to one channel and the rest of the house to another channel would be awesome.

Apologies if this has been covered but my search terms just couldn't find an answer to my question.

Thanks

Closest solution is YazFi, but that works off the guest wireless, NOT the main wireless. Up to you whether that would be suitable for your intentions.

I think this is going to be exactly what I need! Just have to read up on whats involved in the addon install process. Is converting to Merlin as simple as flashing the .trx from within admin or do you need to use the recovery tool like you do for DDWRT? A yes no answer is fine, I realize the forum has a how to section, don't want to be that guy. Thanks for the quick reply!

Update and thanks; did the switch to Merlin and added YaziFi last night, took about an hour to install and configure, couldn't be happier! Thanks @eibgrad and @Tech9

So this isn't a thank you post - Anyone hesitant thinking firmware switching is out of their realm, it's super simple and nearly foolproof. The only info I had to look up was how to enter AMTM via Putty. Piece of cake after that.