Can only sustain 1gbps for a while - then Ethernet driver drops it to 100

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

alexbc

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I have a pre-wired home with CAT 5E cable, it's a condo, so runs are very short, I assume max 20-30 feet per run from my media box to rooms in the condo.

Setup is, Router with 1gbps 5-port, feeding 3 ports around the house, 1 device is 100 (cable box), my other two are 1gbps. What I'd like to do, is to maintain a 1gbps from PC to Synology server! Both are 1gbps capable... BUT, having these issues:

1. Win 10 - Intel Ethernet device - auto negotiates only to 100mbps
2. When I manually change speed to 1gbps, it WORKS for a while - THEN, it STOPS altogether. NO LIGHT flashing on the ethernet port, THEN I have to drop Ethernet speed to Auto, or 100 Full Duplex, the connection comes back
3. While it stays on 1gbps, I can achieve upto 500 mbps transferring files, which is something I'd like to maintain.

This behavior somehow tells me something is causing too much dropped packets or error, which then cuts the connection, right?

Questions:
1. What do you think is the main issue? Cable/connectors/ethernet device?
2. I can't re-wire, but I can change my cables to the wall jacks, and RJ45 wall jacks to CAT6, would it help?
3. Anything else I can try?

Thanks

degrub

Very Senior Member
get a 5 port switch GBit/s and connect the server and the pc to it. Connect a port on the switch to the router lan port. Leave the cable box on the router lan port where it is. Does that fix the issue ?

it could be that the wiring in the condo will not support more than 100 Mbit/s ethernet. This will confirm it.

Bypass the router and the condo wiring all together with a direct cable between the server and the PC. Does that solve the issue ?
Then you know where to focus.

alexbc

Occasional Visitor
get a 5 port switch GBit/s and connect the server and the pc to it. Connect a port on the switch to the router lan port. Leave the cable box on the router lan port where it is. Does that fix the issue ?

it could be that the wiring in the condo will not support more than 100 Mbit/s ethernet. This will confirm it.

Bypass the router and the condo wiring all together with a direct cable between the server and the PC. Does that solve the issue ?
Then you know where to focus.

Thanks, I guess if that solves the issue (have to test), wouldn't solve my problem which is ideal server location.

Good advice though, I can try and see.

HappyJuicy

Occasional Visitor
I had the same issue about a year ago, fixed it by installing new cables
The best bet is to bring your pc close to the router and testing cable by cable.
If win10 auto negotiate at 100 all cables then you know its the ports from your pc or router. So try an other port from your router, then if its still at 100... get a new network card.

simple as that

If the test go smoothly and you get 1000, its the condo wiring

Last edited:

alexbc

Occasional Visitor
I had the same issue about a year ago, fixed it by installing new cables
The best bet is to bring your pc close to the router and testing cable by cable.
If win10 auto negotiate at 100 all cables then you know its the ports from your pc or router. So try an other port from your router, then if its still at 100... get a new network card.

simple as that

If the test go smoothly and you get 1000, its the condo wiring

Thanks, it would be hard to do, but I can try with my laptop as a start.

Re-wiring, probably not possible without cutting a lot of my walls as it's a condo and not easily to do!

HappyJuicy

Occasional Visitor
The router also tell you the quality of the cables. Green or white led mean gigabytes speed, yellow mean 100. Same thing for your pc

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!