What's new

Can QoS be disabled for LAN routes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jackrose13

New Around Here
Hi, this is probably more of a general QoS question, but I thought I'd start here since I use the excellent Merlin firmware on my Asus RT-N66U.

I have a virtual machine lab environment, and the lab network uses a 10.0.2.0/24 network. My primary network, served via DHCP on the RT-N66U, is 10.0.1.0/24.

I've added a router which routes traffic from the 10.0.2.0 network to the 10.0.1.0 network and vice versa. In the LAN > Routes tab on the RT-N66U, I've added a route for the 10.0.2.0 network.

Everything works perfectly - devices on either network can access each other - except for the fact that when QoS is enabled on the RT-N66U, the download bandwidth on the 10.0.2.0 network is severely restricted. It's limited to the number specified in the "Upload bandwidth" portion of the QoS settings.

Put another way, my download bandwidth on the 10.0.2.0 network is around 2Mbps (which is my upstream limit) instead of 50Mbps. If I disable QoS, my download bandwidth on the 10.0.2.0 network is normal

I understand that this is because the RT-N66U router is, in effect, "uploading" traffic to the 10.0.2.0 network.

Is there any way to disable QoS for the 10.0.2.0 route? Or is this an "all or nothing" issue?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Steve

Hi, this is probably more of a general QoS question, but I thought I'd start here since I use the excellent Merlin firmware on my Asus RT-N66U.

I have a virtual machine lab environment, and the lab network uses a 10.0.2.0/24 network. My primary network, served via DHCP on the RT-N66U, is 10.0.1.0/24.

I've added a router which routes traffic from the 10.0.2.0 network to the 10.0.1.0 network and vice versa. In the LAN > Routes tab on the RT-N66U, I've added a route for the 10.0.2.0 network.

Everything works perfectly - devices on either network can access each other - except for the fact that when QoS is enabled on the RT-N66U, the download bandwidth on the 10.0.2.0 network is severely restricted. It's limited to the number specified in the "Upload bandwidth" portion of the QoS settings.

Put another way, my download bandwidth on the 10.0.2.0 network is around 2Mbps (which is my upstream limit) instead of 50Mbps. If I disable QoS, my download bandwidth on the 10.0.2.0 network is normal

I understand that this is because the RT-N66U router is, in effect, "uploading" traffic to the 10.0.2.0 network.

Is there any way to disable QoS for the 10.0.2.0 route? Or is this an "all or nothing" issue?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Steve

I found the same issue (AC66U), with "just" enabling QOS, no routes, no settings, etc. Limited me to 1MB down or so, and thought it was my ISP for a while. One day turned it off and it went to 20MB+. I think it even slowed download some (I am now getting 150MB or so now over AC USB wireless, with 300MB at the TW ISP bridged router side). I left it that way, since I didn't see a big reason to keep it on. I am curious though if there is a reason and/or way to fix it.