What's new

Can RT-AC66U handle 250 Mbps?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kibosh

Regular Contributor
The subject pretty much says it all.

I have Rogers 250/20 service and when I try any speed tests, my max is 200 down. It definitely appears to hit some type of limit. I do not have QOS turned on.

When I run the speed test connected directly to the modem I hit 320 down.

I am wondering if some setting is causing this or is this the fastest this router can handle?

(all tests performed hardwired)

Thanks in advance!

It is DHCP but automatic IP. It is also capable of gigabyte speeds (if that matters).

I just tried factory resetting the router and without touching any settings other than setting up the SSIDs and passwords the speed tests now consistently show 225 down. I have found that enabling ASUS parental controls slows the connection to 200.

This is still far from the 320s I get directly connected to the modem.

Merlin's DNS filtering does not effect the speed tests. I tried with it enabled and not.

Make sure HW acceleration is enabled. If you enable any feature that is incompatible with HW acceleration, it will drop your max throughput to about 150-175 Mbps.

With HW acceleration working, you should be able to push this router beyond 600 Mbps.

just keep in mind that with those high of speeds on cable you should not expect to get full speed 24/7. for most people on cable have there speeds fluctuate throughout the day and on weekends on a regular basis.

for instance on shaw 250. i have probably seen over 50 different speedtests from it, all with full upload speed, but only once have i seen full download speed. keep in mind this on on a 8X4 modem so theoretical max speed after overhead is 304mbps on the entire node

mrzu4g.png

i seen that once out of about 50 different bb250 users ive seen post test results.

so basically. do your testing at 3-5am to ensure consistentcy

Last edited:
Actually, I do have hardware enabled. I am begining to think there is something wrong with the router then.

During my tests i have run several all at the same time. I ran 5 attached to the router and get about 225 consistantly (200 consistantly with parental controls enabled). Remove cable from router and feed directly to laptop and get around 325 consistantly. Repeat this again. I really dont think timing is the issue. That would be too coincidental but thanks for the suggestion.

It would be interesting to get my hands on another router just to see.

Unfortunately the Hitron CGN3 modem Rogers requires is a horrible gateway so using it as a router is pretty much out of the question.

Last edited:
Went out and bought a RT-AC68U. Hooked it up and ran the same tests and I get full speed now, even with ASUS parental controls on.

Either my RT-AC66U had an issue or it cannot handle the real world speeds of a 250Mbps internet connection.

Agreed. I am leaning towards something being wrong with it . . . just don't know what that would be!

I set the new AC68U up exactly the same.

Agreed. I am leaning towards something being wrong with it . . . just don't know what that would be!

I set the new AC68U up exactly the same.

now u needa get some 2X2 or 3X3 AC clients as see how much of that 325 you can get on wireless :cool:

Here is a wireless speed test with my ASUS ROG G750JW which has a broadcom AC wireless card.

3506792122.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!