What's new

Can someone recommend me a router please?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Access point. It's WiFi without the router upcharge. It's not only cheaper it usually performs better by being specialized for WiFi use. I have a single AP covering 1300sq ft corner to corner with full signal. The one I'm using is a nwa210ax and they're about $150 and come with a power adapter or you can use a poe injector.

I l bought an Asus RT-AX86U early this year.. Everything works fine. Current uptime is 44 days. I never have to touch it or even think about it which is a far cry from the outdated router which I upgraded from.

Amazon ships worldwide.
With shipping, import duty and VAT it's at least $284 = £232. It's really not worth importing it when you consider the hassle you'd have to go through if you need to make a warranty claim or you just decided you wanted to return it. If it were available in the UK for $150 (£122) then it would be an attractive option.

EDIT: It would also be locked down to the US WiFi regulations making it a complete non-starter as an import option IMHO.

Last edited:
Amazon ships worldwide.

They don't compete with other Amazon locations. Shipping from US to Europe results in roughly the same price as the same item on Amazon in Europe.

If you want to run a wireless AP then you might take a look at the Cisco small business CBW240AC-B wireless APs if they are available in the UK. I have been running Cisco wireless for 10 years and all the models have worked well for me. Each new generation is better. I am currently running 1 generation older wireless AP. I plan to buy the newer models for my daughter's new house that is being built. The price is not too high. I think $162 now off Amazon. You can buy them in packages of 3 and 5 for cheaper money.

Sorry, readin through now have a new phone and forgot to check back here, still haven’t made the decision on what to get but I will do in the end, appreciate the replies.

I don’t want any AP I just want a decent router, maybe i will get the asus one which was recommended but was wondering if the 2 netgear ones are as good as it or better in terms of specs and as a bonus wireless for some but not all wireless devices. Does @RMerlin do Firmware for netgear or is it just for Asus routers ?

Can anyone give us an answer on this please ? Them 2 compared to the Asus rt ax86u which would you pick out of the 3 and if possible why

Asuswrt-Merlin is for Asus routers, supported models only. RT-AX86U has an updated hardware version coming soon - RT-AX86U Pro. It will be available in few months time. The reason I would pick the Asus router is the firmware. It has more configuration options exposed and more frequent updates. Asuswrt-Merlin adds more functionality on top, plus custom scripts ecosystem made easy to use via AMTM.

I don't use Asus routers, but I have played with quite a few to know what they can offer. It's a good value package and relatively user-friendly. This forum offers excellent support for Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware configuration questions and eventual issues solutions.

Asuswrt-Merlin is for Asus routers, supported models only. RT-AX86U has an updated hardware version coming soon - RT-AX86U Pro. It will be available in few months time. The reason I would pick the Asus router is the firmware. It has more configuration options exposed and more frequent updates. Asuswrt-Merlin adds more functionality on top, plus custom scripts ecosystem made easy to use via AMTM.

I don't use Asus routers, but I have played with quite a few to know what they can offer. It's a good value package and relatively user-friendly. This forum offers excellent support for Asuswrt and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware configuration questions and eventual issues solutions.
Thanks mate

Last question please which would you get between the

ASUS RT-AX88U and the rt-ax86u? It’s down to these 2 now tha I will pick between thanks​

If you don't expect ISP over Gigabit, another good option is Asus RT-AX86S. It's a cheaper version of RT-AX86U with dual-core CPU, 512MB RAM, no 2.5GbE port. It has the same radios and the same Wi-Fi performance. It's also currently on sale on Amazon UK for £146.99.

ASUS RT-AX88U

This is the same hardware router as AX86U in different shape and with 8x LAN ports. It's older and more expensive for no reason, IMO.

I think the rt ax 86u is the one to get

It's one of the most popular newer Asus routers around with compact space-saving design. I've got one to play with recently.