What's new

Can you force user to an Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerryk

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I have multiple WNDR3700s (sames SSID, different channels) in my house. In my daughter's room her computer has about the same strength from either unit. But I would like to bias her computer to use one access point to minimize the traffic on the MOAC link between the 2 access points. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Jerry

only way I know of is to use different SSIDs on different APs and the main wifi router. Then set the PC to prefer a given SSID.

Hi,

I have multiple WNDR3700s (sames SSID, different channels) in my house. In my daughter's room her computer has about the same strength from either unit. But I would like to bias her computer to use one access point to minimize the traffic on the MOAC link between the 2 access points. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Jerry

An option you can consider is using the wireless card access list (MAC filtering) that allows machines to access the AP by MAC ID. You keep the everything the same but add the MAC ID's for machines that will be accessing both AP's and specific MAC ID's for the ones you want accessing a specific AP.

Some wireless client adapters have an option to select an AP in a preferred order. If you have that option, since the SSID's are the same but the channels are different, select the preferred AP connection by channel manually rather than automatic in the configuration settings of your wireless client.

Hopefully one of these will work for you.