What's new

Can you mix Asus ZenWifi ET8 with other mesh routers/nodes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Greatful4You

New Around Here
Current Setup:
ISP:
TMobile Home Internet 5G
Gateway: TMobile Nokia 5G21 Gateway
Router: ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 XT8 Tri-Band Mesh wifi 6 System (router and two nodes)
Problem/Issues:
- Would like coverage for my external garage and cameras.​
- More channel options - In a high aircraft traffic area that gets radio priority within 25 miles of 4 airports and the FFA Air Route Traffic Control Center.​

I'm looking for feedback or another affordable solution to my ASUS Router/nod setup.
Pending upgrade: Compaitialbe Wifi 6E as the Router (Ethernet connected to the Tmobile Nokia 5G21 Gateway). Then connect via LAN/Ethernet to the ET8 wifi 6 router while placing the other nodes throughout the covered area.

Questions:
1. Will the ZenWiFi XT8 wifi 6 work with the ZenWiFi ET8 wifi 6E mesh or other affordable Mesh Routers?
2. Will the XT8 get wifi 6E if connected to a Wifi 6E router?

Thank you!

Yes as long as the nodes are Asus. Might be a good idea to use AX at a minimum.

Current Setup:
ISP:
TMobile Home Internet 5G
Gateway: TMobile Nokia 5G21 Gateway
Router: ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 XT8 Tri-Band Mesh wifi 6 System (router and two nodes)
Problem/Issues:
- Would like coverage for my external garage and cameras.​
- More channel options - In a high aircraft traffic area that gets radio priority within 25 miles of 4 airports and the FFA Air Route Traffic Control Center.​

I'm looking for feedback or another affordable solution to my ASUS Router/nod setup.
Pending upgrade: Compaitialbe Wifi 6E as the Router (Ethernet connected to the Tmobile Nokia 5G21 Gateway). Then connect via LAN/Ethernet to the ET8 wifi 6 router while placing the other nodes throughout the covered area.

Questions:
1. Will the ZenWiFi XT8 wifi 6 work with the ZenWiFi ET8 wifi 6E mesh or other affordable Mesh Routers?
2. Will the XT8 get wifi 6E if connected to a Wifi 6E router?

Thank you!

Generally speaking, AiMesh permits mixing AiMesh models including WiFi6 and 6E. However, it has been said here that ZEN packaged systems are pre-paired, so I'm not sure how they will mix.

AiMesh router/root node hardware features will not propagate to remote nodes... a WiFi6 remote node does not have the radio for broadcasting the WiFi6E 6.0 GHz band signal. etc.

The premise of AiMesh permitting mixing models to incrementally upgrade the network may be complicated when the models/firmware are of packaged systems. You can try it, but I would not be surprised to encounter additional issues. Without knowing, my preference is to stick to mixing models, not systems.

Others may comment here with additional insight.

OE

Last edited: