What's new

Cannot access router - hacked?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If I try to open from Firefox (I was using Chrome), I get this:

firefox.jpg

When the thing becomes broken (like mine) you don't have to do anything to get that infamous error message. After mine was "repaired" I found that it would work for about an hour before crapping out again with that message.

I talked to them multiple times and it was finally determined that it needed to be sent back AGAIN. At least this time they paid for the return shipping.

I returned it and waited another month for it to come back. I haven't yet tried to set it up this time but will soon.

Good thing I had an old 5 year old Linksys to use while it made the two trips back to them. It's less fancy than the Asus but it didn't crap out in less than a year either. When it comes time to replace the Asus I can't imagine I'd buy another one from them.

But you did a RMA even with the Merlin firmware?
I thought they would cover warranty only with its official one...

When I got the thing back from Asus the second time I just plugged it in to power and let it run a few days/weeks. Today I finally got around to trying to set it up. I went through the wizard basic stuff and put in my own password and encryption key for the wireless. I did get the infamous message a few times during this set up but a simple power off reboot got me back to working.

Unfortunately after about 10-15 minutes my wireless devices started dropping the 2G connections due to 'slow network performance' and automatically switched to 5G. Also unfortunate around the same time the thing started dropping wired connections as well, and after each reboot it would work maybe 5-8 minutes before starting to fail connections. So it looks like if all I need is a plain 5G wireless router this one can be used, maybe.

So I've spent two months waiting for it to travel back and forth to/from Asus and it's still broken although in a slightly different way than before. At this point I'm inclined to toss the thing in the garbage can and try to find one from some company that knows how to build and service their products!

Obviously at this point I will never buy anything with the Asus brand on it because I paid a fair amount of money for a device that worked for right at 11 months before becoming useless.

When the thing becomes broken (like mine) you don't have to do anything to get that infamous error message. After mine was "repaired" I found that it would work for about an hour before crapping out again with that message.

I talked to them multiple times and it was finally determined that it needed to be sent back AGAIN. At least this time they paid for the return shipping.

I returned it and waited another month for it to come back. I haven't yet tried to set it up this time but will soon.

Good thing I had an old 5 year old Linksys to use while it made the two trips back to them. It's less fancy than the Asus but it didn't crap out in less than a year either. When it comes time to replace the Asus I can't imagine I'd buy another one from them.

Even though the origin of this thread is pretty old I'm going to post this question here in hopes it will still be read by a few folks.

As I noted previously I got my N66 back from Asus service the second time and it is still broken. I opened another ticket with them to explain this and waited the three days for a response. That response said that the modem was replaced the last time and so they conclude that the problem must be something outside the actual router, although they have offered to take it back again. I've asked them to please feel free to share what sort of conditions could or would cause, for instance, the wired and 2G to fail while leaving only the 5G working properly.

I was the IT department at the local ABC affiliate for around 20 years, which is not meant to indicate I think I know everything about everything but rather that I'm not an idiot with respect to routers, switches and various things connected to them.

So noting that I can take the exact same 5 wires (one input and 4 outputs) and stick them straight into my 5 year old Linksys router and have it worked perfectly well... at least as well as it ever worked with no 5G of course, is the general opinion that they might be on to something or is this just BS to cover for their faulty products?

Of the 4 connected devices, two of them are actually other switches in other parts of the house but I can think of no reason why that would matter.

Is the old router 100Mbps, and the new ASUS 1Gbps, using the same cabling? Maybe terminations are borderline on the cabling? Simple thought I know, but sometimes it's easier to focus on the hard stuff and miss the simple things.

Good thought but the only gig connection is between my Moto cable modem and the router, and it has been test swapped a few times already, just in case.

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N66U.
To access the settings of RT-N66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.​

I just bought myself a RT-AC68U yesterday and I've got stuck with the message twice. I also activated OpenVPN quite fast but I'm not sure if this was the cause of the error.
Anyway, the router was still working and I could log into other web pages but not the router admin page. Rebooting the router did not help. However, usually using Firefox I could enter the router admin page using IE instead. So understanding the error was on the client side I worked around it by clearing the history in Firefox.

I'm running the latest ASUS firmware 3.0.0.4.376.1663 but also got the error in the supplied firmware 3.0.0.4.374_379.

Same here. connected with vpn [tested OpenVPN and PPTP] to admin page of router. i have very very slow connection 1.5 - 2 KB /s. Other computers on lan like cameras or NAS are reacheable without any problem at 12 Mbits/s. i could`t find any work around. So connection to web admin page is working but very slow. Any help could by appreciated. Thank you.

I recently setup OpenVPN using OEM ASUSWRT firmware. When attempting to access the router configuration (web GUI) from outside my LAN this is what is presented:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N66U.
To access the settings of RT-N66U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.​

I'm connecting using the port number that I assigned for the router web interface. (using another port, including the standard 8080 simply does not return any page, as expected).

What has happened?

I had the same problem. I recommend trying to split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz into two SSID.

For instance:

2.4ghz SSID: router_1
5ghz SSID: router_2

I believe that would work and has for me, but you wont get the dual band that ASUS noted on their box.