What's new

Cannot access RT-N66U in recovery mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

therobin

New Around Here
I have a RT-N66U running merlin 380.70 and CFE version 1.0.1.9. I want to switch it to John's fork for better wifi. However, I cannot access the router in recovery mode.

I put the router in recovery mode by holding the reset button when powering on. It shows the slow blinking power LED. I then set my IP to 192.168.1.2, subnet to 255.255.255.0 and gateway to 192.168.1.1. However, once that is done, I cannot ping the router or access the CFE miniweb.

Once I reboot it, it restarts and boots the installed firmware just fine. I just cannot access the CFE miniweb to flash it. Any ideas on what to try?

Putting the efficacy of the change in firmware aside for the moment, are you sure the CFE IP is 192.168.1.1? I have seen other IPs from time to time w/ Asus, like 192.168.29.1. Somewhat rare, but it does happen.

It's 192.168.1.1 on this router. The computer must be connected to LAN port, not WAN. The update is really slow, may take >60min.