What's new

Cannot Connect Some IoT Devices To Internet Via ZenWiFi Pro XT12

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jts1084

New Around Here
I had to factory-reset my WeMo Dimmer Switch last week. Since then, it has a strong and consistent signal on my WiFi (ZenWiFi Pro XT 12, two nodes) and working remote control on the Apple Home app. However, I could not get the switch to actually connect to the WeMo Cloud so that it could be paired to my account and therefore also offer control on the Alexa and Google Home platforms. Smart Connect is off. I also have a separate 2.4 GHz SSID for just IoT devices, tried multiple DNS servers, and toggled the firewall off. No dice.

Today I attempted setup of a Kasa Switch. I was having the same exact problem with that. Doubtful that two different manufacturers were having server issues, I temporarily replaced my Asus with an eero Pro 6 system. The switches then were able to connect to Belkin's/TP-Link’s servers with working remote control through the WeMo/Kasa apps, Alexa, and Google Home (and Apple Home continued to work).

So there’s something going on with the Asus preventing these switches from phoning home to their manufacturers’ servers, even though there are no issues with their WiFi connectivity, local control, or remote control using Apple Home. I rolled back the firmware to 3.0.0.4.388.21293 and tried the new beta. I didn’t want to keep trying earlier and earlier releases and risk causing several problems in an effort to solve one.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Have you reset everything i mean hard reset like it was new? I had the same issues with my smart hubs and IoTs so as i was messing about with the settings i must of put it in a state many could not connect.

Here is what i did:

1. Reset everything factory reset
2. connected everything from scratch e.g modem to router etc
3. Only separated bands (2.4/5ghz) use NEW SSID not used before keep it simple and password with letters/numbers no special chars
4. Tried connecting problematic devices before (i.e the ones that did not work)
5. enabled b in 2.4hz (not sure if this have any effect but its what i did)
(optional step 5a. check your channel band put it manually to a less congested channel i set to manual channel 1.)
6. updated FW one version at a time and repeat 4.

eventually i cant remember which FW version (after reboot), they worked. Then 1 at a time i optomised the 2.4hz band settings.

I also used this: https://www.asus.com/UK/support/FAQ/1042475

I am sure if someone else here has more technical reason why it wont work but above worked for me.

Last edited:
also I disabled Wifi 6 on the 2.4GHz band. Maybe it contributed but it seemed to of worked.

Have you reset everything i mean hard reset like it was new? I had the same issues with my smart hubs and IoTs so as i was messing about with the settings i must of put it in a state many could not connect.

Here is what i did:

1. Reset everything factory reset
2. connected everything from scratch e.g modem to router etc
3. Only separated bands (2.4/5ghz) use NEW SSID not used before keep it simple and password with letters/numbers no special chars
4. Tried connecting problematic devices before (i.e the ones that did not work)
5. enabled b in 2.4hz (not sure if this have any effect but its what i did)
(optional step 5a. check your channel band put it manually to a less congested channel i set to manual channel 1.)
6. updated FW one version at a time and repeat 4.

eventually i cant remember which FW version (after reboot), they worked. Then 1 at a time i optomised the 2.4hz band settings.

I also used this: https://www.asus.com/UK/support/FAQ/1042475

I am sure if someone else here has more technical reason why it wont work but above worked for me.
I really appreciate all your advice.

I did turn off WiFi 6, set a 20MHz channel bandwidth, and tried the 1,6, and 11 control channels on the 2.4GHz band. When all that failed a few days ago, I opened tickets with Belkin, TP-Link, and Asus. But I do suspect (and dread, frankly) that the reset and rebuild from scratch that you recommend is what I should do, especially because I can't say that this trouble starting occurring exactly when I installed a certain firmware or made a certain setting change (before troubleshooting I ran mostly factory settings and didn't tinker over time)--this started seemingly randomly after having worked reliably for the couple months I've had the Asus. A reset and rebuild is a lot of work, and I've got enough clients that need a song and dance to get them online--I've been in whack-a-mole situations with troubleshooting before, and that feels possible here.

Hopefully, something will come of the tickets in the next week or so. Only two out of about 80 clients are problematic (and that includes a number of older 2.4GHz-only devices); I think that says that these WiFi dimmer switches share at least some blame for the trouble. So I might just leave things be until I get the stomach for a reset and rebuild (or until there's new guidance or firmware). I have until the end of the month to return the Asus; it had crossed my mind, because issues requiring resets and/or firmware downgrades don't seem altogether rare on their systems. But performance-wise, this thing smokes anything else I've tried, and who's to say the next one will be any more reliable anyway?

You are kind to give me your time and wise help--thank you again.

I have all of my IoT devices on a guest network configured on the 2.4GHz radio. Never a problem, and in a configuration where you're using the primary node as your main router, you can also isolate IoT traffic from the rest of your network. These devices don't generally need to talk directly to other devices on your home network, they just need to be able to get to the internet.

I do have dual-band SmartConnect enabled for the 2.4 and 5GHz radios, FYI. This doesn't affect the ability to add guest networks to specific radios.

Oh, and I have the ET12, but I suspect the XT12 is very similar.

I have all of my IoT devices on a guest network configured on the 2.4GHz radio. Never a problem, and in a configuration where you're using the primary node as your main router, you can also isolate IoT traffic from the rest of your network. These devices don't generally need to talk directly to other devices on your home network, they just need to be able to get to the internet.

I do have dual-band SmartConnect enabled for the 2.4 and 5GHz radios, FYI. This doesn't affect the ability to add guest networks to specific radios.

Oh, and I have the ET12, but I suspect the XT12 is very similar.
Interesting. Thank you very much. I'll probably try this sometime in the next few days and report back. I'll have to get an Apple TV on the 2.4GHz guest network to allow remote control of my IoT devices through Apple Home, but otherwise there are no limitations with this approach. Thanks again.

EDIT: I did this now. Enabled SmartConnect and used the 5GHz SSID for the newly merged network. Created a 2.4GHz guest network, using the SSID and password that I previously used on the 2.4GHz band from the main network. Restarted everything. The dimmer switch had no problems joining the guest network but still cannot connect to TP-Link's servers. Very strange. I do have the switch bound to the node to which it is closest, but unbinding it didn't help.

I see these messages in the logs as it relates to the switch:
Jan 8 12:45:01 roamast: [EXAP]Deauth old sta in 0 1:
Jan 8 12:45:01 roamast: wl0.1: disconnect weak signal strength station
Jan 8 12:45:02 roamast: wl0.1: remove client from monitor list
Jan 8 12:45:03 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(511): wl0.1: Disassoc, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Jan 8 12:53:36 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth4: Auth, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jan 8 12:53:36 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth4: Assoc, status: Successful (0), rssi:-73
Jan 8 12:53:38 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth4: Deauth_ind, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-75
Jan 8 12:53:38 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth4: Deauth_ind, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-75
Jan 8 12:55:19 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(530): eth4: Auth, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jan 8 12:55:19 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(559): eth4: Assoc, status: Successful (0), rssi:-73
Jan 8 12:55:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth4: Deauth_ind, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-73
Jan 8 12:55:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth4: Deauth_ind, status: 0, reason: Previous authentication no longer valid (2), rssi:-73

The switch's connection quality as reported by the Asus app is -46 dBm.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!