What's new

Cannot connect Windows to my Samba drives over a router-hosted VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nfshp253

Regular Contributor
I'm trying to get Windows to map a few samba drives that are connected to my router. I have turned on the OpenVPN server on my RT-AC68U and am using the generated .ovpn profile to connect to my home network. This works, as I can access home-network devices directly through their IP addresses, and more importantly, I can access 192.168.1.1.

I've managed to connect to the FTP share, but I can't seem to connect to the samba share at all. I've tried using smb://192.168.1.1/, //192.168.1.1/ and just 192.168.1.1 in the Map Network Drive interface, but Windows tells me every time that it cannot find the address.

I've tried adding the samba drives using an app (File Hub) on my iPhone (also with the VPN activated), and it connects with no issues. What could possibly be preventing Windows from connecting to the router using the SMB protocol?

How do I do that? I've already enabled SMBV1+SMBV2 in the Samba protocol version in the router's configuration.

Well, I'll be damned. Didn't think of directly entering \\192.168.1.1 in Windows Explorer. Now it works. Strange why it didn't work in the Map Network Drive dialogue.