What's new

Cannot create swap file with AMTM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

juanantonio

Regular Contributor
Good morning everyone.

I switched yesterday the USB stick on my RT-AC86U. I copied every file from original USB drive to the new with rsync command, as told in some thread in this forum, except the file myswap.swp.

The issue I encounter is that now I am not able to create a new swap file in the new USB stick with AMTM. I receive the following message:

Code:
 Enter option  sw
amtm 3.3 FW               by thelonelycoder
RT-AC86U (aarch64) FW-386.9 @ 192.168.50.1
    The Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

wg open     WireGuard Mgr    v4.19b2   <- v4.18

ep manage   Entware packages

dc manage   Disk check script   dcl show log
fd run      Format disk         fdl show log

i  show     all available scripts or tools
u  check    for script updates

amtm options
e  exit      t  theme   r  reset   a  about

Getting from fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net
! Module swap.mod download failed
! using fallback server diversion.ch

Enter option

Can someone help me, please?

Good morning everyone.

I switched yesterday the USB stick on my RT-AC86U. I copied every file from original USB drive to the new with rsync command, as told in some thread in this forum, except the file myswap.swp.

The issue I encounter is that now I am not able to create a new swap file in the new USB stick with AMTM. I receive the following message:

Code:
 Enter option  sw

amtm options

Enter option

What filesystem did you format the drive to? Swapfile requires a Linux partition.
I see the only script you have installed is the WireGuard Manager so it should be easy enough to start from scratch. Though it does look like you're having problems connecting to the servers. You do have an Internet connection?

Last edited:
Use AMTM to reformat the USB drive then set everything up again starting with the swap file. May require a reset with initialize of the router and a manual reconfigure. You could also have a bad USB drive. Some brands are junk. I have had good luck with SanDisk.
You can also do a swap file with manual commands. Google is your friend here. I added a swap file to a Debian server yesterday and it was quite simple to do.

Good morning everyone.

Code:
 Enter option  sw

amtm options

Enter option

Check that you can ping both domains in the routers terminal.

Check that you can ping both domains in the routers terminal.
Well, it seems a problem of connectivity. After shutting down my Wireguard Manager client, it connects.

I wonder if diversion.ch is blocking connections from VPN supplier IPs.

Regards

I do no such thing.
In that case, perhaps my VPN provider is blocking my router to access amtm sites.

Anyway, it seems that amtm is working now.

Thanks for your help.

By the way, it is possible to install Entware in a micro SD card inserted in a USB 4G dongle? I've tried with my RT-AX86U and the card is recognized by AMTM, but I didn't install Entware because I want to do it in my RT-AC86U.

The issue is that AMTM don't see the micro SD card on the RT-AC86U even though the command 'fdisk -l' shows that Merlin can see it attached to the router.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
By the way, it is possible to install Entware in a micro SD card inserted in a USB 4G dongle?
Why not get the model that also has the beer can cooler?
The issue is that AMTM don't see the micro SD card on the RT-AC86U even though the command 'fdisk -l' shows that Merlin can see it attached to the router
How about posting the output of that command?

Why not get the model that also has the beer can cooler?
The thing is that I have one USB port on the router connected to a fan because the router gets very hot in summer. I need the other for the USB 4G dongle. I have currently one USB stick with Entware and Wireguard Manager, so I need three USB ports on the router. I have managed to solve it with a USB hub until now, but I wanted to know if I could install amtm on the dongle so I needed only two ports.
How about posting the output of that command?
That is a little difficult because the RT-AC86U is in my second house that is 65 km from here. I think I will be there in March, approximately, but I can guarantee that the output of the command showed both the USB drive that is hosting Entware now and also the internal micro SD card of the USB 4G dongle. This drive contains a ext4 partition that I created with amtm in my main router, which is a RT-AX86, with the idea of install Wireguard Manager on it for the RT-AC86U on my second house, but I was surprised I wasn't able to do as I had intended.

Many thanks for your quick response.

Edit: Even though I cannot post the output of 'fdisk -l' on my AC86U, here's the output of the command on the AX86U:

Bash:
juanantonio@RT-AX86U-6C38:/tmp/home/root# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 61.8 GB, 61872793600 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7522 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1               1        7523    60422128  83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 8010 MB, 8010072064 bytes
245 heads, 52 sectors/track, 1227 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 12740 * 512 = 6522880 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sdb1               1        1227     7815964  83 Linux

/dev/sda is a Kingston USB stick where I have installed Entware and Wireguard Manager

/dev/sdb is the micro SD card on the USB 4G dongle I intend to use for installing Entware and also Wireguard Manager.

Many thanks for your patience.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!