What's new

Cannot install Merlin on AX-58U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Didn't even know at the time I bought my ax58u that there is a merlin firmware or a vpn kill-switch. Now I need it :D
What would be the most safe to go model?
Well, if you have the ax58U v1, then Merlin will of course work fine.
If not, and the 58 is sufficient for your needs, you could go to a AX68 which is the next step up. The AX68 is quite new, model wise, and as far as I know there's only a single version so far :)

Good luck

I added it a few weeks ago as I got tired of being asked about that particular model, and someone just like you kept arguing that I should list non-supported models. And to be honest, I even forgot I had actually added it. Which shows just how irrealist it is to expect me to maintain an up to date list of every single unsupported models.

I'm gonna simply remove it, and will stick to my original decision of not trying to start documenting every single exceptions.
I am generally appalled by the level of scrutiny brought on your great free services. How could you be expected to maintain a heins57 level support of such a low end router when you are a one man crew? And such shame for not listing all the nonsupported models for those of us who don't feel like reading the webpages, and wiki, or buying any of the very specific model routers on your actual supported list.

I am generally appalled by the level of scrutiny brought on your great free services. How could you be expected to maintain a heins57 level support of such a low end router when you are a one man crew? And such shame for not listing all the nonsupported models for those of us who don't feel like reading the webpages, and wiki, or buying any of the very specific model routers on your actual supported list.
I honestly think it's people who just don't understand. I don't think they mean harm, but that they just don't know.

But maybe I'm an optimist :)

I honestly think it's people who just don't understand. I don't think they mean harm, but that they just don't know.
Thank you for not letting confusion create an apathetic point of view.

But maybe I'm an optimist :)

It is healthy to maintain a level of optimism, hopefully it is enough to curb the obnoxiousness presented earlier on this thread.

Thank you for not letting confusion create an apathetic point of view.

It is healthy to maintain a level of optimism, hopefully it is enough to curb the obnoxiousness presented earlier on this thread.
Hopefully I expressed myself well enough. I'm not trying to excuse the entitlement and general 'everything should be done for me the way I want when I want' attitude.

I'm just trying to express Hanalon's Razor in a more 'polite' way :)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.​

Are the RT-AX58U still going to be updated?
I am just wondering if I should be watching for deals on better routers.

Are the RT-AX58U still going to be updated?
I am just wondering if I should be watching for deals on better routers.
Currently having no plans to drop it, however note that most sold RT-AX58U these days are probably the unsupported V2.

What is mean "V2"? I have AX56U model, which functionality is cutted versus V2 onboard models?
It just means there is an RT-AX58U and an RT-AX58U V2, and the V2 is not supported by Asuswrt-Merlin.

For reference I bought off Amazon the RT-AX58U in January of this year and received the hardware version A1 (Canada), which works with asuswrt-merlin. Was unaware v2 was incompatible so I guess I got lucky; probably should be a supported hardware limitation warning on Merlin’s website for only V1 assuming the box doesn’t have a big V2 on it.

Edit: Amazon reports the US version is the RT-AX3000 V1&V2 and as far as I’m aware US versions of routers are locked out due to the FTC. Could be wrong but their was some backlash a few years ago about the US locking custom router firmwares.

V1 has the Broadcom BCM6750 3 core 1.5Ghz vs the BCM6755 4 core 1.7Ghz in V2 same amount of ram 512MiB DDR3

Unsure what is preventing support other then Rmerlin limiting the number of routers he has to own and work on.

Last edited:
Unsure what is preventing support other then Rmerlin limiting the number of routers he has to own and work on.
No technical reason, just that I have to decide which one to spend time on, and lower end models will always have a lower priority for me.

No technical reason, just that I have to decide which one to spend time on, and lower end models will always have a lower priority for me.
That’s fair. Btw was unaware of this thread so other know as my comment was moved here I don’t mean to push, quite aware your one man and appreciate the support we get for asuswrt-merlin.

There are very little benefits of going with Asuswrt-Merlin on an AP, except maybe for the improved Wireless Client page.
While I tend to agree with this statement if we are not concerning ourselves with entware applications, however I have used asuswrt-merlin on AP before for the ease of implementing certain applications for entware. I mean, it doesn't take much processing power to have the router sitting around as an AP. So I have found other applications I can utilize the extra processing for instead of bloating down the main router...

The worst thing is, seller had V1 and V2, V1 was cheaper. I decided that V2 is probably better, got that one :rolleyes:
Should we expect V2 to never getting supported? I'll probably sell it off and buy V1 or ax68u then.

The worst thing is, seller had V1 and V2, V1 was cheaper. I decided that V2 is probably better, got that one :rolleyes:
Should we expect V2 to never getting supported? I'll probably sell it off and buy V1 or ax68u then.
Well v2 is technically “better” if your concerned with specs. But yeah no Merlin support I understand since it is a lower end model, even with Merlin it won’t get all the additional features that the flagship HND models get from asus. That said asuswrt-Merlin absolutely has its own merits and addon features that improve the experience.

I would definitely look at some of the newer supported AX or AXE models, but obviously buy within your means or needs, I prefer to somewhat future proof my routers for at least 5-10 years buying the better ones, even so newer better routers are always releasing and being a tech guy it makes me also kind of want to dive into pfsense or ubiquity products but lack the real need.

Well v2 is technically “better” if your concerned with specs. But yeah no Merlin support I understand since it is a lower end model, even with Merlin it won’t get all the additional features that the flagship HND models get from asus. That said asuswrt-Merlin absolutely has its own merits and addon features that improve the experience.

I would definitely look at some of the newer supported AX or AXE models, but obviously buy within your means or needs, I prefer to somewhat future proof my routers for at least 5-10 years buying the better ones, even so newer better routers are always releasing and being a tech guy it makes me also kind of want to dive into pfsense or ubiquity products but lack the real need.
Hey, thanks for advice!
I'm not using it as my home router, had bought it as my travel router for VPN. I use eero pro at home.
Decided to order gt-ax6000, the best they have here that is not enormous.
Hope it works well. It also has VPN fusion and better wan, dual-wan options.
No AXE models here at all :(

Hey, thanks for advice!
I'm not using it as my home router, had bought it as my travel router for VPN. I use eero pro at home.
Decided to order gt-ax6000, the best they have here that is not enormous.
Hope it works well. It also has VPN fusion and better wan, dual-wan options.
No AXE models here at all :(

I wouldn’t worry too much about AXE 6Ghz because you would need devices or wireless cards that also support it which honestly are not super common yet. The big thing about 6Ghz is it give more 160Mhz channels to use then just the one on 5Ghz which is good for throughput provided a piece of paper isn’t blocking your signal. 6Ghz in my mind is better suited for directional dishes outdoors in point to point settings because walls will block signals even more then 5Ghz. Stadiums and large venue halls would benefit from 6Ghz as well.

had bought it as my travel router for VPN

Asus routers don't offer Wireless ISP (WISP) mode. Not a good option for travel router. Look at GL.iNet travel routers instead. Cheaper, much smaller size, 5V power supply (from power bank), WISP and VPN available. OpenWRT base firmware with nice GUI.

Asus routers don't offer Wireless ISP (WISP) mode. Not a good option for travel router. Look at GL.iNet travel routers instead. Cheaper, much smaller size, 5V power supply (from power bank), WISP and VPN available. OpenWRT base firmware with nice GUI.
True. You can’t connect to a wifi hotspot wirelessly with the router, unless you did in repeater mode, but the hotspot you connect to would handle dhcp which on a hotspot is usually limited to one dhcp client which the router would claim rendering it moot, accessing the captive portal might be a issue, I’m not sure.

That said the gt-ax6000 connecting it to hotel Ethernet or whatever should work fine provided you don’t have issues with captive portals. And usb wan is also a useful feature if you have a usb cellular hotspot (might need to spoof TTL)

Honestly asus should support wisp.

Last edited: