What's new

Can't access 192.168.100.1 when connected through my ASUS AX Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheAtomic

New Around Here
Hello all,

Ever since I purchased my RT-AX88U I've been able to access my Netgear modem admin panel located at 192.168.100.1 , however I'm not sure if it was due one of the latest firmware updates on the AX88U but right now I'm not able to access 192.168.100.1 from any of my computers connected to the router, either wireless or ethernet. I tried rolling back to a couple of previous firmware versions and the result is the same (I'm currently on 46065).

If I disconnect the router and plug my laptop directly to the Netgear modem via ethernet the 192.168.100.1 admin panel is accessible with no issue.

Any clue about what might be happening?. Is there any routing that I should do on the router's config in order to enable access to 192.168.100.1 ?

Thanks

Are you saying that you used to be able to access it using your previous router? What was that router? What is the model of the Netgear modem?

It's because you don't have a route to the CM because your LAN is now something other than 192.168.100.x and the chances are the FW is blocking access to the CM. The only way around it is to plug in directly or add a 2nd subnet to the router to propagate the subnet into the routing table.

I have my DIY PC Router hooked up directly to my CM and it doesn't work unless it's in the process of rebooting and the PC picks up the temp subnet from the CM.

Having convenient access to check stats and signal is nice but, you learn to live without it if you're not having issues with the CM.

Are you saying that you used to be able to access it using your previous router? What was that router? What is the model of the Netgear modem?
Hi Colin... actually this used to work fine accessing using this same router and modem. I've been using the AX88U in combination with the Netgear CM1000 modem for over a year, and last time that I needed to check my modem's signal level on the Netgear's panel at 192.168.100.1 was probably back in December or so, and it worked with no issue back then with one of my computers connected to the AX88U via wifi.

But earlier this week I had some issues on the provider's connection so I tried as usual to check my Modem's signal level and noticed that 192.168.100.1 is unresponsive via browser, ping or trace route. I plugged my laptop via ethernet to the AX88U router and same result (unresponsive). Just to check I disconnected the AX88U router and plugged the computer directly to the Netgear Modem ethernet and the 192.168.100.1 panel was accessible with no issue, therefore it confirms that somehow the router is not allowing access to 192.168.100.1 to any device connected to it.

When you use the "Internet Status" is the modems' subnet shown as below?
internet status.png

In the above image, my modem sits at 192.168.131.1 and that (manually set) address is automatically retrieved from the modem, when the modem is connecting to the internet using a PPPoA/PPPoE connection. If however, I were to change to an MPoA connection the details are not retrieved and I have to set the connection to the modem in:
WAN> Internet Connection> Get The WAN IP Automatically: No
and then fill out the details.

Hi Colin... actually this used to work fine accessing using this same router and modem. I've been using the AX88U in combination with the Netgear CM1000 modem for over a year, and last time that I needed to check my modem's signal level on the Netgear's panel at 192.168.100.1 was probably back in December or so, and it worked with no issue back then with one of my computers connected to the AX88U via wifi.

But earlier this week I had some issues on the provider's connection so I tried as usual to check my Modem's signal level and noticed that 192.168.100.1 is unresponsive via browser, ping or trace route. I plugged my laptop via ethernet to the AX88U router and same result (unresponsive). Just to check I disconnected the AX88U router and plugged the computer directly to the Netgear Modem ethernet and the 192.168.100.1 panel was accessible with no issue, therefore it confirms that somehow the router is not allowing access to 192.168.100.1 to any device connected to it.
Are you using a VPN?

When you use the "Internet Status" is the modems' subnet shown as below?

In the above image, my modem sits at 192.168.131.1 and that (manually set) address is automatically retrieved from the modem, when the modem is connecting to the internet using a PPPoA/PPPoE connection. If however, I were to change to an MPoA connection the details are not retrieved and I have to set the connection to the modem in:
WAN> Internet Connection> Get The WAN IP Automatically: No
and then fill out the details.

I see your point... mine is set to "Automatic IP"., so perhaps due to one of the recent Router FW updates the IP being assigned to the modem is now different from 192.168.100.1 ?

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 2.23.33 PM.png

I can't think why this would have worked a few months ago and has now stopped. There's nothing special about the 192.168.100.1 address as far as the router is concerned. I have no problem accessing my modem on 192.168.100.1, but it's a different make.

Some cable modems only allow access from clients on the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.100.x. But that doesn't appear to be the case for you as you said this worked before. Maybe the cable modem got a firmware update. You could try temporarily setting a static IP address on the router's WAN interface of 192.168.100.10 and seeing if that gets you access.

Have you tried power cycling the modem? My modem's web interface can sometimes hang after a long uptime period.

I can't think why this would have worked a few months ago and has now stopped. There's nothing special about the 192.168.100.1 address as far as the router is concerned. I have no problem accessing my modem on 192.168.100.1, but it's a different make.

Some cable modems only allow access from clients on the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.100.x. But that doesn't appear to be the case for you as you said this worked before. Maybe the cable modem got a firmware update. You could try temporarily setting a static IP address on the router's WAN interface of 192.168.100.10 and seeing if that gets you access.

Have you tried power cycling the modem? My modem's web interface can sometimes hang after a long uptime period.

Yeah... that could be one of the possible root causes. Since I've confirmed that the Modem still responds to 192.168.100.1 when I plug the computer directly to it, then we know that the Modem's control IP is still the same, however it could be possible that the cable operator (Xfinity) updated the Modem recently to only allow access to the Admin panel from an IP in the same subnet, which is not the case since my router's gateway IP is 192.168.50.1

Perhaps I'm thinking that the reason it worked before and now it does not it's due to a "Router" firmware update, but in reality it's possible that the culprit has been a recent "Modem" firmware upgrade that obviously is out of my control since those updates are managed by the cable operator.

however it could be possible that the cable operator (Xfinity) updated the Modem recently to only allow access to the Admin panel from an IP in the same subnet, which is not the case since my router's gateway IP is 192.168.50.1
The relevant IP address in this case is router's WAN IP address. So that's likely to be a public IP address as the modem is acting as a kind of bridge. That's why I suggested temporarily changing to a static IP address on the router's WAN interface as an experiment.

You should not require a routing statement on a directly attached network like 192.168.100.0.

You should not require a routing statement on a directly attached network like 192.168.100.0.
Once the modem is booted you're no longer in that subnet as it converts to the WAN IP since the CM is a bridge. Now, if you have a 2-in-1 CM w/ router in the same plastic chassis then that's different.

For whatever reason you can't hit the diagnostics / login through a router unless directly connected to the CM. You can't access the CM through the WAN IP as that would be a security risk.

Results may vary depending on the modem and router being used though.

@TheAtomic Based on your DNS IP addresses it looks like you have Comcast/Xfinity as your ISP.
My modem responds to a ping to 192.168.100.1 and can access its web interface at that address. Though I have had times where I could not access the web interface and had to powercycle it to regain access.
I have friends whose modem responds to 10.0.0.1 instead of 192.168.100.1
See if you can ping either of those.

Also check your routing table, it should look something like this:
Screenshot 2022-06-02 235028.png
The 192.168.101.0 route is there because I have a guest network running.

Also do a route print on your computer and see of there are any unusual looking routes.
The first route should look something like this:
IPv4 Route Table
==============================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.### 35

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!