What's new

Can't access modem ui through Rt-ac86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Silentsoul

Occasional Visitor
I just purchased a Netgear cm1000v2 modem. Previously using a cm600 paired with my Asus Rt-ac86u. I have no issues accessing the modem ui on the cm600 via 192.168.100.1
After installing the the cm1000v2 I checked the signal strengths and everything straight wired to the PC from the modem. Everything seemed fine so I proceeded to install the Asus router and noticed I could no longer access the cm1000v2 ui via 192.168.100.1
I tried restarting the modem, factory resetting it, and re-activating it with Comcast.
With no success I hard restored the router with the newest Asus firmware as well as the newest Merlin firmware and I still have no access to the modem ui.
Reinstalled the cm600 and works just as it should.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

How do I log into my NETGEAR modem IP address?

Enter routerlogin.net or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar. The router login window displays. Enter the router admin user name and password. The user name is admin.

From Netgear support pages. No idea if that is correct but worth trying.

From Netgear support pages. No idea if that is correct but worth trying.

That's to access the router part of their router/modem combos. OP is trying to reach the modem with 99.9% of the time is 192.168.100.1 (and they confirmed that works when directly connected).

I just purchased a Netgear cm1000v2 modem. Previously using a cm600 paired with my Asus Rt-ac86u. I have no issues accessing the modem ui on the cm600 via 192.168.100.1
After installing the the cm1000v2 I checked the signal strengths and everything straight wired to the PC from the modem. Everything seemed fine so I proceeded to install the Asus router and noticed I could no longer access the cm1000v2 ui via 192.168.100.1
I tried restarting the modem, factory resetting it, and re-activating it with Comcast.
With no success I hard restored the router with the newest Asus firmware as well as the newest Merlin firmware and I still have no access to the modem ui.
Reinstalled the cm600 and works just as it should.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

I've seen mention of this with certain modems, I think someone said adding a static route for 192.168.100.1 via the WAN IP fixes it. There is no reason that should work (the default route should cover it), but it must be a glitch. Here is reference to that one https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...d-through-my-asus-ax-router.79150/post-786198

Are you using a VPN or link aggregation on the WAN, or a PPPoE connection (comcast shouldn't use PPPoE as far as I know). Those are all known to cause issues accessing the modem UI.

Last edited:
I've seen mention of this with certain modems, I think someone said adding a static route for 192.168.100.1 via the WAN IP fixes it. There is no reason that should work (the default route should cover it), but it must be a glitch. Here is reference to that one https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...d-through-my-asus-ax-router.79150/post-786198

Are you using a VPN or link aggregation on the WAN, or a PPPoE connection (comcast shouldn't use PPPoE as far as I know). Those are all known to cause issues accessing the modem UI.
Thanks for the link. I am not using a VPN or LA. Connection is just on automatic with both modems through the router.

Adding the static route works for now. That really makes no sense to me of how it's not getting routed on it's own.

Adding the static route works for now. That really makes no sense to me of how it's not getting routed on it's own.

My guess is the modem is not responding to ARP requests (or is responding with the wrong MAC) for some reason and the static route forces a static ARP entry. Without toying with it myself that's just a guess though. Could also be some strange routing thing in the Asus, they are using the 192.168.101.0 subnet internally so maybe some internal route has the wrong mask on it.