What's new

Can't access my camera from outside once VPN activates

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spartan77777

Occasional Visitor
Using merlin 3.0.0.4.372.30_2 on a RT-N66U. Have a FOSCAM camera on the network where I can access from outside through my phone. Setup works flawlessly as long as the VPN client is not running. As soon as the VPN client activates and gets a new IP from VPN, camera no longer accessible. I am using dyndns and point my camera through the public IP which is different than the VPN IP. Camera's internal IP is static and it is outside of the DHCP range.
I intend to run the VPN client permanently since it is the whole reason for the new router. Camera reports the VPN IP as the new IP as soon as the VPN client starts. Is there a way around this problem to get my camera functioning at the presence of the active VPN client.

Last edited:
Agreed

I think we are dealing with very similar problems if not identical.
I am afraid and suspect the solution will be with use static routes but that is just a noobish guess. Please feel free to share if you come across anything.
I am using the very same merlin version as you do and at the moment considering trying out the tomato to see if that has option to accomplish this goal. Please let me know if you make any progress and we can always hope that someone may decide to share the information we need.

This is a reply I got from a user in another forum:

"The changes in routing result in the outgoing traffic from the camera getting pushed over the VPN when clients would expect it to originate from your router's ISP assigned public IP. The asymmetry makes the connection to your camera fail.
If you only ever access your camera from a single IP address or subnet, setting up a static route would work.
You could also access your camera through the VPN if you use one of the port-forwarding enabled locations.
Another possibility would be to configure policy routing and always have your camera bypass the VPN."

Sounds like there are multiple solutions, but, unfortunately none I know how to, without some hand holding...

This is a reply I got from a user in another forum:

"The changes in routing result in the outgoing traffic from the camera getting pushed over the VPN when clients would expect it to originate from your router's ISP assigned public IP. The asymmetry makes the connection to your camera fail.
If you only ever access your camera from a single IP address or subnet, setting up a static route would work.
You could also access your camera through the VPN if you use one of the port-forwarding enabled locations.
Another possibility would be to configure policy routing and always have your camera bypass the VPN."

Sounds like there are multiple solutions, but, unfortunately none I know how to, without some hand holding...

There are many posts on the forums discussing selective routing. Have your camera forced to route outside the tunnel, same as people are doing with some computers. The details are in the Asuswrt-Merlin subforum.