What's new

Can't bind clients to aimesh node..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Threeclover

New Around Here
I currently have RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.3_2. I have a RT-AC68U as an aimesh node. The node lists its connection as "great" at -62dBM. The router is located on the first floor at one end of the house. The node is on the second floor centrally located. My issue is that nothing will connect to the node. I have several wireless cameras, amazon plugs, iphones, and roku sticks on the second floor on the opposite end to the router. I've tried binding several of the devices to the node (including my iphone while standing next to it) and I get the "Due to the current weak connection, your device might lose its connection" message. Even if I say ok and try to connect anyway, it still won't connect and stays connected to the main router. What's the point in having an aimesh node, if nothing is connecting to it. My phone drops connection frequently in master which is located on the second floor on the opposite side of the house from the router, otherwise i would just skip the node.

I've tried disabling smart connect and roaming assistant to no avail.

Networking is very new to me. Is there something I'm missing?

I currently have RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.3_2. I have a RT-AC68U as an aimesh node. The node lists its connection as "great" at -62dBM. The router is located on the first floor at one end of the house. The node is on the second floor centrally located. My issue is that nothing will connect to the node. I have several wireless cameras, amazon plugs, iphones, and roku sticks on the second floor on the opposite end to the router. I've tried binding several of the devices to the node (including my iphone while standing next to it) and I get the "Due to the current weak connection, your device might lose its connection" message. Even if I say ok and try to connect anyway, it still won't connect and stays connected to the main router. What's the point in having an aimesh node, if nothing is connecting to it. My phone drops connection frequently in master which is located on the second floor on the opposite side of the house from the router, otherwise i would just skip the node.

I've tried disabling smart connect and roaming assistant to no avail.

Networking is very new to me. Is there something I'm missing?

How far apart are the two nodes?

Have you tried a Wifi Analyzer app to get a rough idea of signal power and health around the house?

OE

How far apart are the two nodes?

Have you tried a Wifi Analyzer app to get a rough idea of signal power and health around the house?
Thanks for the reply.

They are about 50-60 feet, straight line through a couple walls and ceiling.

After measuring around the house Ping rate range is 3-13ms. DL speeds range 80-160 and UL speeds range 30-65.

I know these speed are good. I'm not familiar with ping. It looks like maybe I could forego the aimesh 68U... Maybe my dropped connections are a result of the ISP? They happen late at night more often then any other time.

Thanks for the reply.

They are about 50-60 feet, straight line through a couple walls and ceiling.

After measuring around the house Ping rate range is 3-13ms. DL speeds range 80-160 and UL speeds range 30-65.

I know these speed are good. I'm not familiar with ping. It looks like maybe I could forego the aimesh 68U... Maybe my dropped connections are a result of the ISP? They happen late at night more often then any other time.

If one AC86U serves enough WiFi coverage, then you may be better off not adding more radio.

You could try locating the node farther from the router toward the opposite end of the upper level. And enable Roaming Assistant per band with the default RSSI signal power thresholds... then see how your clients roam. You can always turn RA OFF again to see the difference.

Also, know that the AC68U does not support Smart Connect node band steering, so you should probably use different SSIDs for each band, such as ssid-24 and ssid-50. Then connect your client to the preferred band only... they may roam better with less and more definite choices.

As you are new to networking, see my install notes for some clues. They will make more sense as you become more familiar with things.

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!