What's new

Can't connect to OpenVPN/LAN server from the outside

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Geo92

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have been trying to fix my problems with my own OpenVPN server on the RT-AC87U Router running on 384.12.

1. My setup is this: INTERNET access point -> FritzBox 7590 router -> Asus Router (RT-AC87U).
2. Fritzbox is on a different lan net than the Asus one.
Example: Fritzbox is 192.166.166.1 . Asus router is 192.166.1.1 (but assigned 192.166.166.27 on Fritzbox)
3. The Asus router gets a static WAN IP assigned from the FritzBox.
4. My FritzBox has port forwarding set-up for the Asus Router allowing access to OpenVPN , UDP Port 1194.
5. OpenVPN Server is set-up on the Asus router correctly as according to the guide I found on this forum. I entered the DDNS which I made and attached to my global internet IP on my Asus router.
6. On my mobile OpenVPN client, I imported everything. But I get an error "read UDP [EHOSTUNREACH]: No route to host (code=113).

What am I doing wrong? I am trying to gain access the LAN of the AsusRouter, for camera reasons.

But something is blocking me gaining access. Or I forgot something? I tried turning off the Firewall on the Asus Router, that didn't help.

Check the ovpn file that you imported has your DDNS name in the remote statement.

If that is correct do an nslookup on the DDNS name and confirm that it resolves to your external public IP address.

Have you looked at the Fritzbox log? And start by try connecting to the ASUS router or something connecting to the ASUS router by a more straightforward protocol. You could briefly forward and open the ASUS router HTTPS GUI port to the internet and try connecting.

Check the ovpn file that you imported has your DDNS name in the remote statement.

If that is correct do an nslookup on the DDNS name and confirm that it resolves to your external public IP address.

I checked both to be sure, and they are correct. The nslookup shows my IP with the DDNS, and the remote statement is directed towards the DDNS.

Have you looked at the Fritzbox log? And start by try connecting to the ASUS router or something connecting to the ASUS router by a more straightforward protocol. You could briefly forward and open the ASUS router HTTPS GUI port to the internet and try connecting.

Can't see any mention of in the Fritzbox event log. Going to give that one a try with https.

Well that suggestion didn't help me troubleshoot the problem. I did however reset my config to a previous state before I went and tweaked all kinds of stuff in the VPN.
I can connect to the VPN while I am still connected through the WiFi with my mobile, but as soon as I jump on an outside network I can not connect anymore. That's one step closer than my previous state of not being able to connect at all.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!