What's new

Cant connect wifi after adding VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Solris

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a new RT-AX68U router. I installed the asuswrt-merlin firmware (388.2.2) to the router, which was installed without issue. However, when setting up VPN client and adding VPN config files and saving the changes, it for some reason disconnects from the wifi ssid. When I try to reconnect to the ssid it states its the incorrect password. I have to reset the router to the factory setting and start from scratch since it seems to lose the wifi password I set for it.

I've installed earlier versions of the firmware to see ithat helped with the issue, but they all have the same issue, it losses or wont hold the wifi password I set for it after I save any changes I make to the router

Any assistance is appreciated

Thanks

I recently purchased a new RT-AX68U router.

Can you return it? It's an unpopular router with connection issues history and perhaps discontinued already and replaced by multiple AX3000/AX5400 class routers built on a different platform. The reason it's often on sale in countries where remaining units are still available.

Welcome to the forums @Solris.

After flashing the firmware, you want to use, did you do a full reset to factory defaults using the appropriate method from the link below?

Afterward, did you do a minimal and manual configuration of the router to secure it and connect to your ISP? Without using a saved backup config file (particularly not one from another router and/or firmware version)?

What options, features, and settings have you used past the defaults as stated above? Did you go through the GUI and toggle options on/off? This may have left the router in a bad state (toggling options on/off is not the same as leaving the option off in the first place).

Which VPN config files are you trying to import? Have you customized them? Are they recommended for Asus/RMerlin routers? Can you share them (black out any personal information first, if you do).

What client device are you using to connect and configure the router? What OS is it using? What browser? Are the client's WiFi drivers fully up-to-date and have you changed any of those past defaults? When was the last time you rebooted this device (rebooting as opposed to shutting down and starting up again)?

Don't pay attention to the poster above, he doesn't use Asus routers in his home, except to test certain 'favorite' models, occasionally.

The following links may also be useful for getting your network and router back to a good/known state. Particularly if you have used a saved backup config file from another router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!