What's new

Can't get VPN or DDNS to work right

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lka1988

Occasional Visitor
EDIT: Updates in posts below. VPN works, kind of.

Hey all, long-time lurker, first time poster, new account, blah blah blah...

Done a lot of googling over the last month, but no one seems to have the answers I'm looking for. I've found a few people that have similar situations to mine, but so far no luck.

I'll start with the basics.

1. ISP - Comcast
2. Modem - Self-purchased Motorola SB6121
3. Modem FW - SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH
3. Router - ASUS RT-N66R
4. Router FW - Merlin 376.45
5. 500GB external HDD connected to router
6. HP Printer connected to router

My router sees my public IP. I verified the IP through Whatsmyip.com. The modem, as far as I can gather, automatically goes into bridge mode when there is an internet connection. It does have a goofy little DHCP server, but everything I've come across says that this server is bypassed when the modem has an internet connection, but it's kind of a moot point anyway when my network is controlled by the RT-N66R.

I have all the settings done properly, as far as I can tell. DDNS is registered with ASUS. VPN settings are correct, as far as I can tell. But I simply can not get the VPN to connect. AiCloud doesn't work either. I can punch in my ASUS address, and it will take me to the proper web page to log in, but the web page won't recognize my user/password.

I can access my FTP share through the local network, no problem. I can get to the Samba share through the local network as well. Same with the printer service.

I need a bit of guidance. If you need more info, I'm more than happy to share.

Thanks,
Lane

EDIT:

Wifi-connected machines: 3 laptops, 4 tablets, Bluray player, Chromecast, my Blackberry;
Hardwired: Vonage box, Targus laptop dock, 500GB HDD, printer, modem

It seems to handle the load just fine. All capable devices can access the storage and printer via local network.

Last edited:
Go into the web interface of the asus router. On the front page, your WAN IP is shown (see this example)

If that IP address is the same as what is reported by Whatsmyip.com, then, yes, your modem is bridged.
If you can't connect to VPN with a bridged modem, the problem could be located on the net you are on when you try to connect. That network may have blocked for outgoing VPN connections.

It is really strange that you can see the Aicloud login, but it doesn't accept your credentials. Are you sure your DDNS are setup correctly? It may be taking you to a router that is not yours! (i.e. if you have tried to register a DDNS that is already in use). That's the only explanation I can find. Why else would it not accept your credentials?

Try a traceroute to your DDNS and see if it hits your IP address. You could also just try and turn off the router and verify that your access disappears.

Try also something simpler. I.e. enable WAN admin interface on the router and see if you access it and login.

EDIT:
When you have your WAN IP address from the router, you could also try to connect to that IP directly instead of the DDNS.

Last edited:
WAN IP shown on the router settings is the same as on Whatsmyip.com.

I can ping my IP through my neighbor's wifi. The DDNS registered sucessfully, or so it says.

I can't really do much testing from work as we go through a massive VPN/proxy system based on the other side of the country. tracert gets out to our main gateway at work, then stops cold. I'll have to do more testing at home tonight.

UPDATE:

I've enabled WAN admin interface on the router and I can get to the settings just fine, verified on two different neighbors' internet connections. I ended up having to register a new DDNS because apparently I didn't get the message that the one I chose was already registered.

Yes, I asked for permission.

Traceroute works fine as well, 3 hops to my public IP and the DDNS. From the neighbors's wifi.

Ok, another update.

I got the VPN working properly. I'm sitting in my neighbor's house while her and my wife do craft stuff.... I'm connected to their internet, but I've got my public IP address, verified with Whatsmyip.com (sweet tool, BTW).

How do I access my network shares? I know I can do AiCloud, but I want something a bit more...native. I'm running Windows 8.1 on my main laptop, and Kali Linux on my Chromebook (ChromeOS doesn't support PPTP yet...boo)