What's new

Can't transfer files on LAN while connected to VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnD5000

Very Senior Member
I've noticed that when my pc is on my home network and connected to a VPN service, I can not transfer files from my PC to my HD connected by USB to my router. Is this how it is supposed to work even if my PC and USB-connected HD are on the same network? If so, is there any way I can change the setup in Merlin so that I can tranfer files while connected to a VPN?

I assume you're talking about the VPN client running on the router (not your PC), in which case it works fine for me.

Can you access the router's web interface. How are you accessing the USB drive, SMB, FTP, SCP, etc?

Is the OpenVPN client running on the router or the PC?

If it's the former, there's no particular reason the router's USB drive shouldn't still be accessible given it's just another LAN device. NOT unless perhaps your OpenVPN client is configured to "Accept DNS configuration" as Exclusive, and that PC is bound to the VPN and referencing router.asus.com, which can't be resolved because Exclusive bypasses DNSMasq (at least while using the VPN Director) for local name resolution (i.e., the VPN's DNS servers can NOT resolve it). You have to use an explicit reference (e.g., 192.168.1.1).

If it's the latter, it's possible the OpenVPN client is configured in such a way as to prevent access to the LAN (local network) while connected. But that's usually only when dealing w/ an employer's VPN server, who does so to protect his own network from yours.

Last edited:
Sorry, to clarify, I'm talking about connecting to a VPN with my PC to a VPN service (Windscribe). Want to use the VPN to access the internet but I would like to be able to transfer a file to or from the HD that is connected to my router. Again, I am in my home, connected to my router (running Merlin) through the WIFI and I've connected to a VPN for internet (but want the local net to still be accessible if possible). When I connect to the VPN, I can not connect to the router's interface.

Is it *only* the router that you can't reach, or is it *any* devices on the local network?

If it's the latter, and you're using the Windscribe app, does it have an option to allow/deny access to the local network? As I said, this is possible when using OpenVPN. Specifically, it's a flag (among many others) on the redirect-gateway directive push'd by the server (or the OpenVPN client config).

Code:
push "redirect-gateway def1 block-local"

If that's the problem, I have to believe the app has an option to turn that OFF.

Last edited:
Since you VPN client is running on the PC does it give you the option to connect to certain devices within the app? When I was running the PIA app on my PC it allowed as an option for me to connect to my modem and other devices on my network if I listed their IP then the connection to these LAN devices bypassed the VPN tunnel.

App dependent indeed. I use NordVPN Windows client and it allows LAN access + WAN through VPN.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!