What's new

Cat5 slowing me down?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

issom beituni

Occasional Visitor
Guys,

I have an AX11000 and a RT-AC68U using aimesh and wired back haul. When my 68u is in my loft I’m achieving same speeds for internet as the 11000 (loft wired with cat6) in my family room if I move my 68u there which has cat5 I’m pulling 25-60mbps Internet. Where at the Ax11000 it’s 250 is WiFi. Even if I hard wire my pc or anything on the 68u with that cat5 backhaul it’s much slower.

What am I missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat5 is able to support networks that are running at 10-100 mbps . Cat5e and more up to 1 gigabit

Cat5 cable was deprecated almost 20 years ago. Everything since would be Cat5e spec. Even the original Cat5 could do gigabit, albeit with certain limitations.

Is your "Cat5" cable really Cat5 or is it Cat5e? Cat5 was commonly used in offices for split purposes, e.g. 2 pairs could be used for 100BASE-TX data while the other 2 pairs could be used for 2 telephone lines.

Last edited:
I see online that cat5 is up to 100Mbps and I'm using cat5 and one other cable I made myself and I'm getting getting 750-800Mbit/sec when doing my tests

I see online that cat5 is up to 100Mbps and I'm using cat5 and one other cable I made myself and I'm getting getting 750-800Mbit/sec when doing my tests
See my post #3. The original Cat5 was spec'ed for gigabit not 100Mbps.

EDIT: I think the confusion comes from the way cable companies marketed Cat5 once Cat5e had been ratified. Running gigabit across Cat5 at distances up to 100m was problematic unless the cable was of high quality (effectively making it equivalent to Cat5e), but short distances like 10m or 20m was never a problem. So until 1999 it was marketed as 100Mbps cable as gigabit Ethernet didn't exist.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!