What's new

Cat6 Cable Opinions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cto

New Around Here
So I need to pick up about 23000' of Cat6 and am looking at pricing.. In the past I have used Beldin, Belkin, Hatachi, and Genesis.. All good, easy to work with...

I have stumbled upon a deal from BlackBox for their Cat6 Gigatrue 550mhz (extra headroom.. kind of nice but not needed)

but have never used their bulk cable...

The spools are end to end tested/certified/guarenteed length but never having worked with a product, especially data cable I always worry if iit is hard to work with, overly-ridgid, etc...

Anyone ever used Blackbox cable? Their warranty has always been superb.. I have seen their product all ofver the Disney resport, park and property...

Here is the link...

http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detai...ft-304-8-m-Pull-Box-PVC-Black/EYN880AĂPBĂ1000

Thanks!

-Brian

As far as I know all cable has to be made within certain specifications (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no professional in this field), so it *shouldn't* make a huge different which brand you use.

I know all Cat6 sucks to run, so I can't see this type being any worse :D

Hi. You are correct, well at least it you should be correct. Here is the bad side of cable for cheaper brands found at some places such as hardware stores:

The master reel is tested and not the individual spool being sold..
The bad.. 1000' spool, cable bad in center.
Tge very bad... You run 50000 feet and have several bad runs post construction.

Bad.. Your 1000' spool only has 880' of wire

Really bad... Your required 250mHz was tested with a pringles can and fishing line (trust me.. It doesn't work... The pringles can that is)

This equates to spending $100 on designer jeans only to find out it is counterfeit and sewn w/ dissolving stitches.

Unless you have your run certified or drop $3k on a cer tool (new) your switch/router is broadcasting a speed and although it may say gig you could be pushing 1mbps half duplex and never know... That's why businesses depend on and spend a ton of cash on certifying each installed run...

Installer bad.... You get a cheap cable that meats standards but the jacket is stiff and wire cover is cheap and the punch TGAT should take 2 minutes is taking 20 minutes per end and you find yourself buying stock in corn huskers lotion...

There is so much that does matter... Cables I've used w/ good luck include belkin. Belsen. Hatchi . Mohawk, genesis (Honeywell ). But I just haven't used blackbox

You are correct... A box label SHOULD matter but sometimes the bad apple slips through ...

Brian

And super bad... The cable is so rigid

How long are the runs? I assume you are aware that Cat6 is not certified for 10G up to 100m. You may want to look at Cat6a if you are seriously worried about cable quality and if some of your runs are longer than 30m.

Otherwise don't worry so much. Chances are your terminations will be the cause of most problems, not the cable quality. Just follow the rules on running cables. No hard bends, etc.... Also purchase quality jacks and follow termination specs.

BTW, much of the common cable you'll find is made in China. Even Genesis. Belden may be an exception with some of their better cable.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!