What's new

Cat8 vs 6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
For anyone in doubt, I just replaced all my Cat 6 network cables with Cat 8. I have gone from getting about 20 download on the powerlines to 80+ now.

Very pleased with that result.

Last edited:
For anyone in doubt, I just replaced all my Cat 6E network cables with Cat 8. I have gone from getting about 20 download on the powerlines to 80+ now.

Very pleased with that result.

Im using cat 6a as wan cable and cat 5e as lan. I doubt cable can change speeds this much unless your previous ones were damaged badly.

Last edited:
Im using cat 6a as wan cable and cat 5e as lan. I doubt cable can change speeds this much unless your previous ones were damaged badly.
No they were all decent, I did rearrange all the plugs around the back of tv, and tidyed all the wiring.

It was a bit of a mess
IMG_20210215_093850287.jpg

A bit neater now and all cleaned. Not perfect but way better than it was. There is some cable management there but you can't really see it on these pictures.

Took about 3 hours to clean it all, dedust it, and rewire it all. Clamped a lot of cable to the back of cabinet, and run powers through cable tidys.

Still a bit to do, like removing the blu tack.

Damn those overlong white cables from the ISP.

IMG_20210215_174943493 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20210215_174948604 - Copy.jpg

I meant Cat 6 apologies. Post corrected
Thanks for the clarification. You might want to correct the thread title as well.

No they were all decent, I did rearrange all the plugs around the back of tv, and tidyed all the wiring.
I suspect that was more likely the reason for the different speeds. Or possibly because your old Ethernet cables were unshielded and creating interference with the powerline adapter. So changing to shielded Cat8 cables may have helped there.

...and from the front, who would know the wires behind :) The monkey is actually called Griswald @Clark Griswald , the inflatable, not the one on the tv.

IMG_20210215_183450977.jpg

Thanks for the clarification. You might want to correct the thread title as well.

I suspect that was more likely the reason for the different speeds. Or possibly because your old Ethernet cables were unshielded and creating interference with the powerline adapter. So changing to shielded Cat8 cables may have helped there.
Corrected :)

Yes I think the shielding helps, also a rearrangement of the mains plugs, so the powerline is only sharing with a low wattage device and not everything else.

Today has been hectic to say the least, and involved a router reset, a jffs format, and a skynet and flex reinstall. All in time for the kids to use the internet in the evening.

Please don't tell me my router is badly positioned, I am aware. Unfortunately my ISP gave me little choice. That said, all working sweet now :)

Maybe I need to look at reglossing those skirts, damn modern safe paints and EU legislation. They go yellow after a couple of years, nothing wrong with a bit of lead and oil in your atmosphere :)

Last edited:
Mount a simple/small shelf on the wall behind the TV just high enough to place the router on it and all you see is the antennas. True or not, I find signal levels seem to be weaker when behind LCD panels. Just my experience.

Corrected :)

Today has been hectic to say the least, and involved a router reset, a jffs format, and a skynet and flex reinstall. All in time for the kids to use the internet in the evening.
Mount a simple/small shelf on the wall behind the TV just high enough to place the router on it and all you see is the antennas. True or not, I find signal levels seem to be weaker when behind LCD panels. Just my experience.

The wife would never allow that.

@BreakingDad

The Wife is out, so I'm doing a few "Honey Do" projects.
Let me finish rewiring this light switch, and I can help you with your wiring.
wiring.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!