What's new

Change from Asus to Deco

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I clearly understand that now. I’ve posted the signal strength of the farthest devices because I guess that their current signal is ok and there is no need for an big improvement - I guess that the radio signal of the ax86u would be similar to the current one.
Because if the signal looks weak it would mean I’d have to also buy additional AP.
The devices mentioned are smart switches so there is little traffic.. Thanks!

I got to the store last night only to discover the Asus was not a new unit, but a returned one.

If they apply the same warranty and return policy to open box products - it's a safe purchase and perhaps saves some money.

If going for RT-AX86U Pro - watch for the older version RT-AX86U. The two devices are different hardware. You want the newer Pro version.

it may well be the client's transmit signal strength that is the issue, not the routers transmit signal level at the location.

I would plan replacement of RT-AC86U just because of the poor reliability record it has. Issues already present - definitely replace and soon. In todays connected world with people working and learning from home there is no need to investigate and waste time. Reliability of home networks is more important than ever.

it may well be the client's transmit signal strength that is the issue, not the routers transmit signal level at the location.
OK, understand that but for instance if one client has a problem, why ALL devices connected to 2.4GHz suddenly lose connection...

It's conceivable that a misbehaving client could cause detriment to the "rest of society", as it were, though likely not causing total loss.

I've finally ordered an AX86U Pro from another store. Now I'm hoping that I would have the same wifi signal strength, as with the AC-2900, to (slightly) better cover all smart devices.

And, just for reference, I've also read a bit about Deco units and on top of the cloud-based management I've found out that the units do not go well with Dlink switches.
And my networks is ISP modem -> Asus router then a D-Link DGS 1016D where I have plugged in TVs and desktops throughout the house (I have wires in almost every room/floor). So I think Decos a a no-no for me...

I've found out that the units do not go well with Dlink switches

D-Link network switches or some D-Link light switches - IoT devices? Unlikely for network switches.

Anyway, you've got the right replacement. Hopefully it works well for you. If you have issues with IoT connectivity you may want to take a look at my compatibility settings recommendations below. They are for the older model router, but apply for yours as well. Good luck!

Please, could you explain what do you mean by:
D-Link network switches or some D-Link light switches - IoT devices? Unlikely for network switches.
Do you mean I should also change the switch? - it is used only to connect TVs, desktops in the house, allIoT devices are Meross ones connected via wifi.

Also, looking in the Administration logs I see a recurring message:
Mar 10 17:15:22 bsd: bsd: Sending act Frame to ........ with transition target eth6 ssid ....
Mar 10 17:15:23 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: ifname=eth5, event=156, token=1a, status=6, mac=........
Mar 10 17:15:23 bsd: bsd: BSS Transit Response: STA reject
Mar 10 17:15:23 bsd: bsd: Skip STA:........ reject BSSID

Can this be an issue? I'm sorry f I'm asking too much, hope I'm not overstepping...

Last edited:
Do you mean I should also change the switch?

I mean you have to calm down and stop worrying about potential issues you don't currently have. When you get your new router place it where your old one was, connect the cables to corresponding ports, set it up as a new router and see how it goes. If you have any issues afterwards - come back here and we'll figure it out. This model is one of the popular ones around, many folks are using it, both hardware and software are better than your old router. The coverage area will be about the same or slightly better.

Thank you so much for all your answers! Hopefully by tomorrow evening it'll be delivered and set it up and see what goes!

The first thing you'll be surprised with is how BRIGHT the LED lights are on this model. 🤩

Well the first thing I was surprised was the fact the 2 smart devices located at the entrances of the house were out of range in the 2.4 band. Those 2 were seen by the AC-86u router, now the're out of range. I've read here that the AX86u is less sensitive but hoped I'd be covered. Bummer, so to speak. So put back the AC router and enabled 2 restarts per week and will see and study what approach to pursue. Problem is that although the router is positioned central in the house (there I have the modem) the 2 entrances are opposed to each other. Router needs to stay in that particular position so I'd have to buy 2 additional APs.. Will see. Thanks all for information provided!

That is not my experience with RT-AC86Us and RT-AX86Us.

You either have a defective unit (AX), have the wrong Control Channel setup, or have some other setting that doesn't complement your client devices.

When an entry-level RT-AX68U shows far superior performance to 2x RT-AC86Us, the observed performance from your RT-AX86U shows it to be a candidate to be RMA'd.

RT-AC 86U (current router) was stock firmware, no special settings. AX 86U the same.
And I've read here that the AX has a slightly less sentitivity so maybe this is the cause... Anyway the 2 smart switches were at the borderline with the AC router.. I'm now gathering info on what AP's to install and where..

So put back the AC router and enabled 2 restarts per week and will see and study what approach to pursue.

This is unfortunate. Perhaps the original Deco 3-pack system was the better idea after all. :confused: