What's new

Change work group on USB App Samba & Internet stops working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eastavin

Maybe someone that understands the relationship between cable modems and routers using DHCP could offer some advice? My ISP uses DHCP to provide internet from a cable modem. Everything works fine.

But then I go to USB Application - Network place (samba) and set up a share. If I leave work group set to the default WORKGROUP everything is fine as far as internet accessibility goes. If I change the work group to anything else even the common MSHOME the router immediately gets disconnected from the ISP and then after a period of waiting time I see that it once again is connected but now no one has internet service.

How is it that a share on a LAN affects the WAN? Or is it something else? Nothing in the Asus documentation to explain what the issue is other than they instruct a user to change the workgroup to what they want.

Many thanks

Edward

As you say, there should be no connection between the Samba settings and the WAN connection.

What hardware and firmware version are you running? What messages do you see in the router's syslog at the time you make the changes to Samba?

This note refers to a RT-AC68U with Asus stock Version 3.0.0.4.384.20308.

When you apply the change it seems that it goes into some sort of undefined reset. The wan gets disconnected, the wifi goes off then they come back. But trying to get out on the internet does not work even though it shows an IP address for the WAN.

Sorry to say that this annoyed me so much (and wasted so much time) - compounded by some well placed screams from users that I said we are not going to fool around with any more USB drives in the router for now. I decided to go safe and loaded merlin 380.69_2 and said no to any one else putting a USB drive in. So the logs are gone unfortunately until I calm down and try it again some day maybe on a weekend.

Still cant fathom why changing WORKGROUP to MSHOME would cause all this unless there is a major booboo in that part of the code.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!