Changing to AT&T Fiber 1G with AX-88U shows odd speed results

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

nitro001

Regular Contributor
All,
So I am switching from Spectrum Cable 400/25 Internet to AT&T Fiber 1Gb Internet.

Before the change I was only getting close to 400MB at my laptop which was hard-wired to a NETGEAR GSS116E Switch in the office that was wired to the AX-88U in the server closet.
I then had to change that Netgear out and move it to another room and I changed it to a D-Link 5 port gigabit switch in the office. At that point, my speed dropped to mid 300's so I figure the D-Link can't handle traffic even though it is a Gigabit switch.

Fast forward a little to yesterday, I installed the fiber modem and re-configured the setup. I was still only pulling mid-300s down from the laptop, but I was getting close to 950MB upload speed... which I found REALLY ODD.
I was going to buy a new 8 port switch to replace the D-Link in case there was a bandwidth issue here, but also on occasion while testing it would go to 650 MB download speed but it would not be consistent. Actually I ran one while writing this and it was 612 down and 941 up from the laptop...

I installed the spnMerlin test on the router, and while I have heard that the router may not give the best results running from it directly, I am getting over 900MB down on each test (min 914, max 933), but upload speeds are only about 600MB.
My latency is MUCH better with the fiber, where I was getting up to 14ms with spectrum I am all the way down to 3 on the fiber with very little jitter.

Of course if I run it from my phone S20 Ultra, using the AC Wi-Fi 6 connection its awful at only 82 down and 48 up, but I expect that from the phone.

Since this is all over the place I don't know what results to actually believe. Is the download from the router correct, is the upload from the laptop correct, is it some combination of the two?

I want to get this dialed in while I am in my trial period with AT&T to make sure everything is working as it should in case I need to cancel.

Thanks in advance,
Nathan
 

Calkulin

Regular Contributor
Do you have anything Trend Micro enabled or even QoS? With Trend Micro enabled(not QoS), best my AX88U will do is around 500-600 Mbps within the router and around 750-850 Mbps via wireless(AX200 cards). With Trend Micro completely off and withdrawn, router will do 950 Mbps via internal test but wireless stays the same,
 

nitro001

Regular Contributor
I don't have any of the QoS options or Trend Micro enabled, but I do have diversion and Skynet running in addition to the standard firewall stuff, however, I even tried to turn off the add-ons and got the same results.
So the internal download looks right then, so the router itself can't handle the upload part of the test, but can route it find.
 

Calkulin

Regular Contributor
My AX88U has no issues hitting ~850 Mbps on AT&T fiber with multiple devices streaming currently. With less load, it can do ~950 Mbps up/down,

1616028853607.png
 

SomeWhereOverTheRainBow

Part of the Furniture
I don't have any of the QoS options or Trend Micro enabled, but I do have diversion and Skynet running in addition to the standard firewall stuff, however, I even tried to turn off the add-ons and got the same results.
So the internal download looks right then, so the router itself can't handle the upload part of the test, but can route it find.
make sure you are completely withdrawn from these disclaimers then and perform a manual reboot of modem and router.

1616033932967.png
 

nitro001

Regular Contributor
I don't have the withdraw buttons and my wording is a bit different here,
so I am assuming I must have clicked the withdraw at some point, just don't remember that.

1616080838452.png
 

aex.perez

Regular Contributor
AT&T as well. AX88. At the router, with Skynet and Trend Micro permission withdrawn. I get ~900 Down / ~600 Up using SPDMerlin/ASUS(Adaptive QOS/Internet Speed) both Ookla Speedtest powered. At the PC, wired 1GbE getting ~950 Up and Down. big difference in Router CPU utilization on the router that impact the results versus what you see on the PC. Your results will vary a bit based on what's happening on your LAN and between your router and the testing endpoint and the endpoint itself.

If I have a 4K movie and a second HD stream running my numbers will vary. What I look for is consistency in the results, I care more about latency, jitter and packet loss. Also with the router being the only device on the BGW210, prioritizing it will not/doesn't have an impact.

Long story short, Ookla Speedtest uses the CPU of the device doing the testing as it processes the upload/downloaded sample data to reach its result. I have a lot more CPU available in the PC than there is in the AX88u. You really want to have fun, enable the Trend Micro features and run the tests. PC will be the same as you had before but at the router you see a big difference. To get back, you need to withdraw permission, simply turning off the feature doesn't remove whatever TrendMicro processes are running that impact router CPU and subsequently Speedtest results at the router.

You can also try disabling Skynet for a few minutes that it takes to run a few Speedtests and see what you get, hint: the results will be close to what you get on the PC.
 

Similar threads

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top