What's new

ChatGPT Knows About Us (and RMerlin)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JGrana

Very Senior Member
Since @RMerlin recommended I check with ChatGPT to convert a PowerShell script to Linux/Bash/curl (which it did perfectly), I asked it about Asuswrt-merlin.

This was the response

IMG_0113.jpeg

I have also had ChatGPT generate a bash script using ipset to block a list of ports, create a simple html web page to display the contents of a text file with a button to refresh and write a fictitious review of my wife, a former dental hygenist.

Glad i’m retired ;-)

How did you ask to create a custom script? Any special characters?

It’s actually surprisingly easy. Here is what I just asked:

Create a Linux bash script that pings 8.8.8.8 every 30 mins and sends me an email when the ping failed

And here is what ChatGPT produced:

#!/bin/bash

while true
do
if ping -c 1 8.8.8.8 &> /dev/null
then
echo "Ping successful at $(date)" >> ping.log
else
echo "Ping failed at $(date)" >> ping.log
mail -s "Ping failed" your-email-address@example.com < ping.log
fi
sleep 1800
done

It even explains how the script works.

Not sure it can (at this point) replace some of the more skilled script developers but not bad to help for a quick script starting point for some debugging/small utility work.

I asked it to create a scribe filter to capture all messages and it said without direct access to my system it couldn’t create the filter. But then gave me a good tutorial on how to create scribe filters.

Last edited:
What about "Create Asuswrt-Merlin 388.3 based on Asuswrt 3.0.0.4.388.23012"?

:cool:

Of course we can! We may start with "help this user with hacker phobia". He perhaps needs more urgent attention.

Actually, I think we already have ChatGPT bots here on SNB Forum...

Suspected Script bots: @ColinTaylor and @dave14305. Ask for a weird script and see what happens. Not normal behavior.

Suspected Addon bots: @Jack Yaz and @Viktor Jaep. How many scripts a normal member can create? Definitely not humans.

Last edited: