What's new

uKasa uKasa - A utility script that manages Kasa smart outlets and switches with Asuswrt-Merlin routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is my power strip. I have 2 of them. From the support page you can find there's different hardware version. Mine is version 1 and 2. In case something went wrong by PM I attach my log files here for your reference. Looks like the attachment need has file extension. So I just add .txt to them.
Thanks. It looks like the response from the power strip had a type field of "null". Wonder if the power strips need a different decode.
Let me look into this.

Thanks!

NOTE nmap is usually pretty good about finding all the Kasa devices. Once in a while it might miss one. If the number of devices it reports found doesn't match with what you believe, run ukasa in discover mode

Have you addressed this security concern?

nmap is bad news on a bastion host - this really isn't something you want installed on a device that can be exposed to the internet.

The last thing you want running on your firewall is a tool that is specifically designed to do network recon for addtional vulns and targets for exploits...

If someone has the ability to execute malicious code on your router I think they have a lot bigger ideas and capability then using a niche script that’s preinstalled to communicate with some power strips.

I have put together YetAnotherUtility that runs on Asuswrt-merlin routers and is used to manage and operate TP-Link Kasa Smart Plugs and Switches. It can show the present state of the plug or switch (Off/On) and if supported how much power it is supplying (along with line voltage). There is also a "monitor" mode that will show the line voltage, current, Watts and Watt Hours continually (until Enter is pressed)

I originally did this for some issues I was having with an AiMesh node. At times, the node would go "offline" and I found that a power cycle always brought it back.

What problem are you trying to solve here? The Kasa app works fine, and better yet, it works over the internet.

If the Kasa device is dropping offline, this doesn't require a new application/script...

Fix the AIMesh issue first.

If someone has the ability to execute malicious code on your router I think they have a lot bigger ideas and capability then using a niche script that’s preinstalled to communicate with some power strips.

Have you looked at most of these Asus Add-On from a security perspective?

I guess not...

Oh boy...here we go again lol

I've run George Georgovassilis' version of this on my server for years now, works great, nice to see it adapted for use with asuswrt-merlin

edit: Just realized the one I linked is a different version than what I have saved. Mine is much more complex, the git version is much simpler and works after adding -w1 to the netcat command (on my debian system).

Last edited:

Don't provide an easy door to be opened...

I'm really surprised that folks don't consider this...

@Adamm, @sfx2000, I always really appreciate getting both perspectives.

Even if I err on the side of security.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!