What's new

Cheap wireless access point recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fangold

New Around Here
I have an older Asus RT-N66U. This unit has served me well for many years. I am not looking to replace this unit just yet (probably) with something decent. There are two areas of my house that are dead spaces. 2.4ghz currently works 80% of the time in one dead space, and 5ghz has a strong enough signal, but there are interference issues (i think from HVAC ducting) and is useless in that spot. The type of network speed needed in these spaces are not high at all. i only plan on watching on youtube videos on the smartphone. I dont think more than 2 clients at a time max, and the second client is more of an IofT connection, but dropping out will not be acceptable. It will have to pass through a concrete block wall.

I was originally considering buying one of those cheap access points sold on amazon that plug directly on the wall, but it appears that so many people are unhappy with them. I am not sure if it is because they are using repeater mode, so they complain, or if they still suck in AP mode too.
  1. Are those repeater devices (in AP mode) "good enough" for low demanding tasks in AP mode if using an ethernet connection directly to the router?
  2. The antennas look tiny. Are they poor?
  3. Can you recommend a cheap alternative AP device that will accomplish this job (will it work)? I will not purchase TP-Link OR no name branded devices.
Your thoughts or alternative solutions are appreciated.
Thanks
-F

Welcome @fangold to the forum.

I can't suggest any repeater devices that would 'for sure' work for you. That is a gamble that I do not recommend taking.

But I can suggest an RT-AC86U for you to test in your environment. Depending on your ISP speeds (up and down), you should be pleasantly surprised at the progress WiFi products have made in the last 8 years.

Thanks. i understand that speed has vastly increased, but i am wondering if the signal would be stronger

Yes, throughput and range improvements too, including raw (maximum) speeds. Particularly for the 5GHz AC/AX band (2.4GHz was already very good with the RT-N66U but that too is better today).

what has a higher 2.4ghz range? asus RT-AC86U, RT-AX86U or RT-5300.

The range is my most important feature as i have a location in my house that has a weak/no signal under RT-N66U.
IS there noticeable differences ?

Last edited:
It depends on your WiFi environment. The RT-AC3100 for example had exceptional range for its time.

See the RT-AC3100 report below and also the RT-AX88U Upgrade link too.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

your report shows that the AX in AC mode has the best performance of that test. Good stuff.

my wifi environment is a medium size house, small by some standards, but has a few concrete block walls in various locations. that is what is killing the signals. I also have some HVAC ducts right where the router is. relocating is difficult unfortuantley and may or may not be possible.
Does the AC5100 perform similarly to the AC3100?

i am a bit confused on the direction i should take now that i have provided a bit more info in conjunction with the reports