What's new

Cheapest supported router for AIMesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

terminator

Regular Contributor
Now that AIMesh will be supported. What is the cheapest router/node on merlin firmware that will support it? ;)
I already have RT-AC86U as the main router.

Last edited:
Now that AIMesh will be supported. What is the cheapest router/note on stock firmware that will support it? ;)
The RT-AC68U is a great choice! IMO

RT-AC66U_B1 is probably the cheapest. Bought two used ones earlier this spring for about 50$ each on Facebook marketplace.

Now that AIMesh will be supported. What is the cheapest router/note on stock firmware that will support it? ;)

Maybe this depends on how you want to operate and spend your money. A likely AiMesh residential installation is two nodes... the root node and a remote node. If you make them identical routers, one becomes a working spare for the ever more critical home network, AND can be used for preparing/testing an upgrade/network change without having to tear down your entire network. Two RT-AC86Us fit this usage nicely, especially if you can source them in a 2-pack bundle at good price.

OE

Hopefully you've first done your homework on AiMesh and know exactly WHY you think you need it. If it's just to extend coverage, is their any way you can link the two routers by wire? If so I'd highly recommend you do that and then buy any router that can be used as an AP (which is just about any router). You get to then control the channel selections and other items independently. MUCH better solution IMO.

Hopefully you've first done your homework on AiMesh and know exactly WHY you think you need it. If it's just to extend coverage, is their any way you can link the two routers by wire? If so I'd highly recommend you do that and then buy any router that can be used as an AP (which is just about any router). You get to then control the channel selections and other items independently. MUCH better solution IMO.

that's very smart and kind to your neighbours from a radio spectrum perspective, but asus has kinda nailed it on people wanting their wifi bubble to just simply work and be easy to administer. Maybe you like that kind of thing, but most people do not.

I'm considering buying a pair of ac66-b1s brand new in box from a local retailer for $150 to become nodes to my 6mo old ac86 so I can be done with it for a number of years. This is easy because I have had the wired backhaul in place for ages for each of them in different ends of the house.

Last edited:
that's very smart and kind to your neighbours from a radio spectrum perspective, but asus has kinda nailed it on people wanting their wifi bubble to just simply work and be easy to administer.

I'm not sure I completely follow what you're trying to say but I can tell you that administering a separate AP is no more complicated than managing an AiMesh setup. With respect to frequency sharing, if you need the AP to increase range then you're presumably far enough away from the first router that a neighbor will be able to re-use that channel (presuming you're now concerned about use of the 3 non-overlapping channels of 2.4Ghz). If this is a concern, you can always choose the same channel and be no worse off than AiMesh.

My point is that IMO AiMesh adds complexities and limitations that you don't face with a wired AP and it is in many ways more restrictive and more difficult to setup and maintain. I'm speaking from first hand experience and the numerous threads and comments by others you'll find in this forum.

As to the WiFi bubble you can simply accept all the defaults and choose AP mode on the initial setup. Even more simple than AiMesh though I'd never recommend that.

Whatever you do, Aimesh or AP, you wont get guest Wifi on the node with Asus!
If you need guest-SSID everywhere in your home go with other brands.

With Aimesh you should think about SmartConnect (band and node steering, when it will fully/reliable work in future), a second 86U will support it, 68U or 66U_B1 wont.

What about roaming with AP? Most devices try to stay connected even though a much better AP is 1 feet away in my experience

What about roaming with AP? Most devices try to stay connected even though a much better AP is 1 feet away in my experience
Roaming with AP and Aimesh is no difference. Both AP and Aimesh needs to be setup properly for roaming to function well. The final decision to roam is always up to the client.
https://www.snbforums.com/posts/504856/

It does sound like you have experienced a few sticky clients.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/what-are-sticky-clients-802-11k-v-r-explained.30689/

Last edited: