What's new

Choosing a Wireless N router (but ignoring the wireless part)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cscotto

New Around Here
Now that I have 2 computers in the house with Gigabit network cards and a Macbook with N wireless, it’s time to update my network to match.

At the moment, I have a wired 10/100 8 port SMC Networks Barricade router and an old blob style G Apple Airport in bridge mode as a wireless access point. The airport needs to be reset periodically and, since it’s not handling DHCP/NAT, I can reset it without taking down the whole network along with it. I’ve sort of developed a fear of letting wireless routers control the wired show. It’s more of a preference really, but anything that makes me get off the couch and walk across the room is an enemy to be feared.

All of my stuff is in a closet with a patch panel, and 8 ports do the trick nicely. Along with a wireless n device, I figured I’d buy a new 8 port gigabit wired router, but I can only find one such animal in the Netgear FVS318G. It would do the job but the lack of jumbo frame support and complaints of failure are a turn off. So, I turned my sights to a 4 port wired gigabit router but found it’s more economical (and more sensible?) to just buy a wireless n router and an 8 port gigabit switch.

The plan is to swap the SMC router out for a switch for the convenience of plug it in and forget about it. I’ll use the wireless n router for DHCP/NAT, but I’m not too worried about my constant reset fears. If things with the wireless go haywire too often, I’ll put the SMC back into DHCP service, or turn off the radio and get a separate n access point.

I don’t know if this is a weird way of choosing a new wireless router, but I’m taking the radio performance out of the loop in mental preparation for it being a hassle in the future. If I choose a stable router with fast LAN performance and some cool features, I figure I won’t be too angry if I end up using it as a plain old wired router.

I’m considering the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH. I like the basic NAS functionality as an easy way to share files too large to email, and the VPN functionality could be handy. I plan on using the Buffalo wireless for N only and keeping the Apple Airport in the mix as an AP for my G devices, so my only concern is that the 2.4 Ghz radios may interfere.

The other choice would be the Netgear WNDR3700 but I can’t find a truly compelling reason to spend the extra money. For the price of the Netgear alone, I can buy the Buffalo and a switch and still have a little money left over.

Is there anything I’m missing in my thought process? Are there any other wireless routers I should be considering?

Thanks,
cscotto

Do you have any images of your setup in the closet deem network closet. So you opt for patch panel and didn't go the direct route into 1 or 2 switches. This is the way I had decide to do it when I had purchased this house 4 years ago. I could make my own patch panel and label each port to the matching ports for jack port or cable direct connections in HO-NPAD.

I do agree with why spend more as of 2011 they're suppose to come out with wPCIe 60GHz band 802.11n gig routers. I am going be cautions about that new gear? To many promises of what we have right now with 802.11n 300mbps where it's really only 802.11n 150mbps out the box. Since what is currently work for my needs is stable enough in mix mode environment. Wireless has to be quick, stable, able to have good coverage. As far for range if you not getting that now then you need to invest in either a second AP/router of the same make and model or buy just wireless access point and use that in the dead spot area to correct your wireless issues.

I use two of the same brand. The performance of the two are better than I had expected for the price I had paid for the two of them around $100 bucks. In my situation I need two. Can't cut corners when it comes to the wireless here. Some users can get away with one wireless n gig AP/router. My main router is the DHCP with wireless radio disabled. That's located in what I deem a network closet since all the 24 nodes connections flow directly into that closet. From there basement/garage, main first floor/patio porch deck, second floor and attic is my layout here about 2,000 sq feet. Second wireless n gig AP/Router is on the second floor in a spot where interfere is lowest I could measure here. Hardwired as Wireless AP mode.

USB routers are limited and NAS features are not the same if you actually purchased one of these QNAP (NAS) or better turn one of your PCs into File Server running either Windows Server OS or Windows 7 U Client OS WorkGroup & HomeGroup. This is the way I do for years with the Server OS from NT to 2008. But with 7 U 64 Client OS better to use that OS instead. I even use IIS 7 for intranet web site, web shares from the file shares. It all works out perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, tipstir!

I don't have any pictures, but it's nothing too fancy. It really is just a closet, complete with bowling balls and a vacuum cleaner. When we moved in, the cables in the attic were a rat's nest and that bothered me. So, I ripped it all out and ran Cat5e and quad-shield RG6 cable to all the rooms. Every room has two outlets with one cable and two ethernet jacks (which can be phone or data). All the wires end up in a Leviton box on the wall in the closet and into a 24 Port Structured Media Panel or a powered cable splitter.

It's a small house, and the whole effort was probably overkill. But, it was fun to hang out in the attic. I would do it again, it's nice to have almost everything hardwired.

At the moment, only 8 of the RJ 45 jacks are being used for data, so the 8 port router works pretty well. I want to stick a switch in there so it'll be easier to expand when the time comes.

I have my Mac Mini set up as the media server to the house with shared drives for time machine backups and what not. I'm thinking of the NAS function on the Buffalo router as easy way to share random files with family and friends without having to create user accounts on the mac or giving more access to the rest of the network.

My wireless coverage is pretty good with the Apple Airport. I think the dropouts I get are do to interference from all the wireless APs that popped up in the neighborhood. After the AT&T uVerse installers made their rounds, the number of APs I would see jumped from 4 to 20.

cscotto

Last edited:
You're right that you don't need a dual-band router if you're not going to use 5 GHz. Requiring the USB file sharing does limit your choices a bit, though.

The Buffalo would do the job. Have you considered a Cisco Linksys E2100L (WRT160NL). Has Gigabit ports, USB sharing and can be DD-WRT'd if that's your thing...

Thanks Tim,

The USB file sharing is more of a nicety than a requirement. I'm definitely open to suggestions. "Buy right, buy once" is a slogan I try to stick to when funds allow.

I also like to expect the worst so I usually end up pleasantly surprised when things work out better than I planned. I'm really just looking for something that will be a good, stable router in the event that wireless shenanigans lead me to shut the radio off. I figure extra features will lessen the sadness if I ever click the "disable radio" button.

I'm willing to spend the extra dough for the Netgear WNDR3700. It has the features and performance.

I just want to make sure that my understanding is correct. If I connect, say the WNDR3700, to my current 10/100 router as an AP, whatever I plug into the WNDR3700's ethernet ports will communicate with eachother at Gigabit speeds. Or, another way of saying it, the WNDR3700 would just be a switch for the gigabit and n devices and it would communicate with the rest of the network (printer, bluray, etc) at the 10/100 speed of the wired router.

As long as the Macbook (n), the Mac Mini and Acer Nettop (both gigabit) are communicating at full speed, that's all that truly matters. I can save cash on a switch and let my trusty old SMC router handle DHCP/NAT.

Thanks again,
cscotto

"Buy right, buy once" is a slogan I try to stick to when funds allow.
Unfortunately, that's a difficult philosophy to have when dealing with wireless routers. What works for some, doesn't for others. You can find unhappy buyers of any product.

I'm willing to spend the extra dough for the Netgear WNDR3700. It has the features and performance.
You'd also be paying for dual-band, which you don't need and drives up cost.

I just want to make sure that my understanding is correct. If I connect, say the WNDR3700, to my current 10/100 router as an AP, whatever I plug into the WNDR3700's ethernet ports will communicate with eachother at Gigabit speeds. Or, another way of saying it, the WNDR3700 would just be a switch for the gigabit and n devices and it would communicate with the rest of the network (printer, bluray, etc) at the 10/100 speed of the wired router.
Your understanding is correct. The LAN ports will just act like a switch.

I'd still suggest the Buffalo or Cisco E2100L if you don't need dual-band, but want Gigabit switch built in. Be aware, however, that the heat added by the Gigabit switch is one of the things that reduces reliability.

Excellent!!

I'll be ordering one of the two this evening.

I suppose my choice in 8 port switch is mostly a matter of price and warranty, and out of those 2 the only sure thing is the amount of money leaving my pocket.

Thanks Again!!

cscotto