What's new

Choosing an UPS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rico567

New Around Here
I hope this is the correct sub-forum. I'm in the process of upgrading our home network, and am wondering if there's a formula or some web site to assist in choosing / sizing an UPS.

I hope this is the correct sub-forum. I'm in the process of upgrading our home network, and am wondering if there's a formula or some web site to assist in choosing / sizing an UPS.

I decided to get one about twice the VA/wattage that the sales spec says.. due to past experience with UPSes.

I've used APS in the past, but now I have a 1500VA CyberPower that runs two PCs, NAS, and LAN/Router gear. I'm happy with it and its software. Got it a year ago on a price-match from Fry's.

APS and CYBERPOWER both used here. Also I use 9-socket switch rack mounted these are use to make sure power rated on devices going through them are running at 100% full power. To me better power management too. Devices can be shutdown down to 0% power.

Tripp Lite makes the rack mount 9 socket switch.
Technical Pro PS9U is the one I am using.

All the network gear is in a mini rack mounted chassis
I use APS 550V with them.

Since I couldn't get another APS 550V at the warehouse I found they were selling the CYBERPOWER ones. So have one of those here. I saying each room that has anything like network or home media gear should be connected to one of these APS or CYBERPOWER. I get a lot of brown outs here with power loss and can't afford to be without power up to 1 hr. Also less damage all network, media and computer gears!

I like to find the used APC SmartUPS (1500W) on e-bay without batteries and then buy new batteries. The SmartUPS can have a network interface card installed for monitoring. Sometimes you will find them with the network card already installed. The SmartUPS line is the commercial versions and it seems like the ratings are much more conservative than the casual home user models.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!