What's new

Cisco Revamps Entire N Router Line

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iwod

Regular Contributor
Do they even use the same chipset? Which they have been using it for... 3 - 4 years? I remember Linksys were using it, then Cisco release a new skin and new name called E - Series, which are exactly the same other then the new casing.

Now they are doing the same again?

Cisco is blocking the FCC ID docs for another month or so. I suspect we'll find Broadcom inside, but with different board designs.

Some of the new models have RF amplifiers added.

It is just annoying that we are getting the same, old slow CPU inside all these Routers. Even Cisco E4200 is the same hardware as 3 years ago.

They are trying to milk the market, and we still dont have Gigabit Ethernet as standard.....

BTW Linksys and Flip are both parts of the consumer division. I see some comments around the web from various journalists predicting CISCO killing the rest of its consumer division. And that remaining part is Linksys. Some even say it might extend to cable boxes and modem.

I was wondering about Tim's opinion on that.

BTW Linksys and Flip are both parts of the consumer division. I see some comments around the web from various journalists predicting CISCO killing the rest of its consumer division. And that remaining part is Linksys. Some even say it might extend to cable boxes and modem.

I was wondering about Tim's opinion on that.
I have no inside data. That said, Cisco said some time ago that at some point the Linksys brand might go away. Although it's a different market segment, consumer networking products are still related to Cisco's core networking business. Simple video camcorders were not.

Eliminating Linksys would be sad. It was the pioneer in low cost consumer WiFi, arguably.

Cisco needs some legal subsidiary like Linksys to isolate the service, support, and warranty policy for consumer goods from professional/enterprise users.

Cisco needs some legal subsidiary like Linksys to isolate the service, support, and warranty policy for consumer goods from professional/enterprise users.

Well true, but only if they decide to keep the consumer division at all. They would not need Linksys if the leave it altogether, right?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!