What's new

Cisco RV180W VPN / QuickVPN Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Triad Tech

New Around Here
Hello and thanks in advance for your help..

I've managed to get the router setup with everything except VPN. I've tried several settings and am unable to make it work.

I've created the VPN user name and password and installed QuickVPN on a Windows XP laptop on a different network. I ran QuickVPN, entering the same username/password, IP Address of the router and it never connects.

I really don't understand all the other VPN settings. Can someone help me out here?

Thank you!

Problem solved...

Well after reading a lot of things about how awful QuickVPN is, I decided to go the PPTP route and it worked instantly. Amazing.

Meanwhile there is an admin guide also for the RV180.

With that know-how now QuickVPN works like a charm for me!

Key was that QuickVPN requires only (!!!)

- a VPN user with a password

- enabled Web Access using Port 443 (see Remote Management)

No other router VPN settings - neither basic nor advanced ones - are required. So don't try to play with that settings; for QuickVPN please leave them untouched...! No additional port forwarding or triggering or changed router firewall settings are necessary.

Access to local lan devices is realized via their regular LAN IP adresses;
the remote QuickVPN client automatically gets it's IP within a different IP range. So any local / remote IP collision is avoided.

Could you share the setting you used? I'm struggling with the same unit.... Could I ask you to do a dummy setup just so that I can see what you've done. Did you have to configure the FW?

Sorry I'm quite busy at the moment. If you just follow the admin guide and my posted hints you should have success. QuickVpn manages all other things for you.

Regrettably due to PC, OS, network or ISP related issues some users are obviously not able to get a VPN up and running - independent from the router.

Regards 2000wolf

Instructions for use with QVPN

It is very simple and the complete instructions are on Page 108 of the RV180W Administrator's guide - section titled: Remote Access with Cisco QuickVPN

1. On the router, go to VPN – IPsec – VPN users. Add a user with a password. Make sure QuickVPN is the selected protocol.

2. To enable access via Cisco QuickVPN, you must enable remote
management to open port 443 for SSL. Go to Administration – Management Interface – Web Access. Enable Remote Management then Save.

3. Determine the router's WAN IP address or its domain name for clients to connect to.

4. You can download the router's certificate by going to Security - SSL Certificate - Export for Client and saving the certificate under an appropriate name to distribute with the Quick VPN software.

For the Clients:

5. Go to Cisco and download the free Quick VPN (QVPN) software for RV180W Wireless-N Multifunction VPN Router (or whichever model you have)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/quick_vpn.html

6. Install the software and run it.
- Give it a profile name, enter the user name and password and server IP address.

7. You may get a pop-up window that says the Server's certificate doesn't exist on your local computer. Do NOT quit the connection. Install the previously saved SSL certificate to the c:\Program Files\Cisco Small Business\QuickVPN Client\ directory. Next time you connect, you will not get the pop-up warning.

8. :D

Last edited: