What's new

Cisco RV340 or DIY router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Freddie Le

New Around Here
Hi all - long time lurker but I barely post. I just upgraded my internet with Centurylink Fiber 1GB symmetrical.It seems my Netgear r7800 running Voxel is starting to struggle a bit since my wife and I are working from home. I have read some post on recommendations. I want to be able to setup and forget. I do game as well. I want to use the netgear r7800 for the AP for now and upgrade later, but not sure what AP to buy.

I narrowed down to these routers (see below) that can do VLAN 201 an PPPoE on the WAN.

Cisco RV340 ($89):

DIY:
I found an HP ThinClient T730 with Intel i350 T4 at a local recycle computer place for 200$.

Any thoughts? Less tinkering the better for me. I tend to tinker a lot and my wife gets mad.

Last edited:
So, what did you buy? I would guess Cisco may be thinking about a router upgrade. They have new wireless and new switches. We may see a new router. I am just guessing if users are selling the Cisco RV340 cheap now days. There is nothing wrong with the RV340 router. It is still a good router. I still run my RV340 router.

So, what did you buy? I would guess Cisco may be thinking about a router upgrade. They have new wireless and new switches. We may see a new router. I am just guessing if users are selling the Cisco RV340 cheap now days. There is nothing wrong with the RV340 router. It is still a good router. I still run my RV340 router.

I picked up the Cisco RV340. The cost was too good to pass up and easy to configure. It works great.