What's new

Cisco wireless 150AX accesspoint

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
Anybody seen one of these or tested one?

They have a bluetooth radio. I want a relay for my Apple stuff. I wonder if there is any chance?

Maybe Cisco won't drop the small business line.

They have a bluetooth radio. I want a relay for my Apple stuff. I wonder if there is any chance?

Hard to tell - looking at the datasheet - "Integrated Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) 5 radio [for future use]" - that could be anything...

Note that they call out BLE, which is not full BT5 - so it could be anything from Beacon support to one-step provisioning of the AP when the technician installs it.

Just having the radio in the AP doesn't mean much without SW to do something with it.

They are not working together with previous models like the CWB 140.
I wouldn't trust this line.

They are not working together with previous models like the CWB 140.
I wouldn't trust this line.
Cisco always requires pretty much the same series wireless APs to create a virtual AP. Every time in the past when I upgraded my Cisco SMB APs in the past, I have not been able to mix the newer APs and the old APs. This is normal for Cisco in my way of thinking. I have installed Cisco small business wireless APs three times in my house.

I just noticed the Cisco 150ax Aps support Cisco Umbrella integration. I would like to explore Cisco Umbrella. If we see another Cisco small business router, I plan to use it with Cisco Umbrella.
"ADVANCED SECURITY: Enterprise-class security prevent malware, phishing, and other threats from compromising your network via Cisco Umbrella integration"

Opendns Prosumer plan gives you full access to Cisco Umbrella, but only for laptops, not phones and router. However it costs only 20$ per year if I remember correctly.

Opendns Prosumer plan gives you full access to Cisco Umbrella, but only for laptops, not phones and router. However it costs only 20$ per year if I remember correctly.
So how is it going to work with a Cisco 150ax wireless AP?

Is it $20 per device or site? If you walk off site and use your phone?

Cisco brought out Cisco Umbrella after I already had bought my Cisco RV340 router and I was through with the free time period. So I never ran it. It is an option listed in my RV340 but requires a license.

PS
I googled Opendns Prosumer plan and it seems like QUAD9. I am not sure how that would relate to a Cisco 150ax wireless AP. Maybe only if it was doing DHCP? My wireless APs are being passed DNS and all the clients from my DHCP server on my Cisco L3 switch using QUAD9.

Last edited:
First you buy the Umbrella Prosumer subscription ($20/user/year), which is the only one that protects from malware.
https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/
This will give you access to Umbrella dashboard and you can select the categories you want to block.
Also, from the dashboard you can download the client for windows or Mac and you can install it on 3 devices. Only these devices will be protected.

I have tried this plan for about 9 months, but it didn't block anything. You can blame me but I trust Quad9 more.

I am a believer in QUAD9.

I will still try Cisco Umbrella if we get another Cisco small business router just to try since I missed the first go around.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!