What's new

class C/B networks over MPLS/Private VLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rancid

Occasional Visitor
Hello All...

just inherited a new network and mulling over a couple of ideas, which if anyone has experience of then i would appreciate some advice.

the network consists of 3 offices connected over a private network.
the private network is outsourced and fully managed by a third party.
each site has an ETH presentation which plugs directly into the local LAN with no firewall etc.

the addressing for the private network is a separate class C network on each site. for example 192.168.10.x / 192.168.11.x / 192.168.12.x

All routing between the sites and the net is managed by the provider of the private network.

my questions are thus....

1. as the private network is presented as a transparent site to site ETH, is there any reason i could not use a single subnet across all 3 sites ?

2. in networks larger than a single class C subnet is there any reasons to have many class C networks with routing etc as opposed to just a larger class B network ? i get that in the old days there was much concern over broadcast traffic etc.. but now days with decent switches in place is this so much of an issue ?

any comments of suggestions welcomed.

Cheers
Cid.