What's new

Client list and DHCP assignment problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scottegos2

Occasional Visitor
I upgraded to a new motherboard with an Intel i225-v 2.5gbps chip (Gigabyte Aorus x570s Master). I've connected it to the 2.5gbps port of my GT-AX11000 running Asuswrt Merlin 388.1. It connects nicely at 2.5gbps. However, there are some oddities:
  1. Hovering over the 2.6g port icon on the Ethernet ports system status display, there is no speed indication.
  2. The system does not show up in the client list.
  3. The system's MAC address doesn't show up on the dhcp reservation dropdown. Further, manually typing it in and adding the a MAC/IP Addr pair doesn't work (i.e. the DHCP server still hands out a different address).
If I should attach a log or something, please let me know.

OK, the symptoms were true, but missing the point. I also just noticed that the same thing happens when I connect to a 1gbps socket. Further, the system is not pingable from other computers on the LAN. Yes, it's marked as a private network and the same behavior occurs if I disable the firewall entirely. Sooo confused!

I upgraded to a new motherboard with an Intel i225-v 2.5gbps chip (Gigabyte Aorus x570s Master). I've connected it to the 2.5gbps port of my GT-AX11000 running Asuswrt Merlin 388.1. It connects nicely at 2.5gbps. However, there are some oddities:
  1. Hovering over the 2.6g port icon on the Ethernet ports system status display, there is no speed indication.
  2. The system does not show up in the client list.

Systems not showing up in the client list or continuing to show up when not connected is a longstanding Asus issue. Merlin can't help you with this. You would need to go back to stock and report the issue to Asus. Is it worth it?

1. The system's MAC address doesn't show up on the dhcp reservation dropdown. Further, manually typing it in and adding the a MAC/IP Addr pair doesn't work (i.e. the DHCP server still hands out a different address).

Did the client get an IP address? If yes, dose the client show the router as the DHCP server? Adding the MAC/IP to where?

If I should attach a log or something, please let me know.

Thanks, Morris. I didn't realize it's a well known problem. In the 10-15 years I've been using one Asus router or another (generally with Merlin firmware) it had not come up. But, not, it's not that critical -- I've worked around the problems. Thanks for the reply.

If it does get an IP address, as mentioned, check the Mac address too. It may have a new Mac address where the ip would then probably be from a dhcp pool is defined. New feature in some operating systems is to generate a new Mac address each time a connection is made...for security.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!