What's new

Client Lists will not save in QoS Bandwidth Limiter (sporadic issue)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scott Rosendahl

New Around Here
Asus RT-AC68P
Merlin 380.57

I'm having sporadic issues while trying to get the QoS Bandwidth Limiter to save the Client List settings. After I supply the Client Lists, regardless if just one or numerous, after I hit Apply, I see the percentage spinning until it completes and displays completed, but then the refreshed page does not have the Client Lists that I had entered.

Every once in a while, after going through the process over and over, trying various browsers, and not sure why or what allows it to finally work, I can sometimes get it to stick.

Is this a bug? Or something I'm doing wrong? Or an incompatible browser?

As I'm also able to log into my router via SSH, I'd also like to ask if there might be a fairly straight forward method which I can 1) query/list/cat the contents/Client Lists of the QoS Bandwidth Limiter, and/or 2) modify them?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Scott

I've got the same issue.

Good, I mean because it's not just in my setup.

I've searched trying to find if anyone else, but hadn't come across anything yet. Have you?

Anyone else having this issue too?

Any ideas on what might be causing it, or if any workaround?

Did either of you do a full reset to factory defaults as outlined below?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

This is the first time I've seen that thread and the many steps, so haven't gone through every single step. But I had completed those that seem to be most relevant and important. See below my comments for each of them. I suppose I could go through the exact steps in the order listed below, and see if that might help, but as I've done what I'm assuming are the most important obvious tasks, I'm thinking it'll probably not help.

Also keep in mind that sometimes I am able to get the Client Lists to stick. This issue is quite sporadic.

--------------------------------------
Before flashing new firmware.
  • Make a backup cfg file and label it with the firmware version currently running on the router. (I save this with the associated trx firmware file in a safe place, along with the next item, if needed).
    • Previously completed
  • Save any custom settings to the jffs partition in a safe place.
    • N/A
  • Remove all USB devices from the router.
    • Nothing was connected to USB
  • Reboot via the gui and let it settle for 5 minutes after it comes up again.
    • Previously completed

Flash new (or existing) firmware.
  • Flash new firmware (and in some cases, re-flash the existing firmware if any random, unexplained glitches are still causing issues).
    • Previously completed
  • Reset to factory defaults via the gui.
    • Previously completed
  • After the router has rebooted (point above), do a hard reboot (pull the power plug), wait a couple of minutes and then power it up again.
    • Probably not at this exact moment, don't recall. But I can say that I've hard rebooted my router a number of times in an effort to try getting the Client Lists to save which this has never helped so far.

After new firmware loaded.
  • Use the wizard to connect to your ISP.
    • Previously completed
  • Use new ssid's for all bands and radio's (most likely easier to do after the wizard completes for dual 5GHz band radio's capable routers). You can reuse the old passwords though.
    • Previously completed for the SSIDs that I enabled and use
  • Disable media server.
    • I don't recall doing anything to this specific configuration AFAIK it's likely still at its default value.
  • Disable network share.
    • I've not done anything with this specific configuration, so expect that it's at its default value.
  • Disable NFSD.
    • I've not done anything with this specific configuration, so expect that it's at its default value.
  • Disable FTP.
  • Change device name (if needed), set Force as Master Browser and indicate the Work Group name (these steps are optional for some home users).
    • Device Name previously changed
    • I've not done anything with Force as Master Browser and the Work Group name
  • Disable WPS.
    • Previously completed
  • Disable WDS.
    • Previously completed
  • Uncheck Xbox and B/G protection (Both bands).
    • I've not done anything with this specific configuration, so expect that it's at its default value
  • Wireless Mode: Auto (default).
    • I've not done anything with this specific configuration, so expect that it's at its default value
  • Control Channel: set manually after testing each channel.
  • Preamble Type: Short.
  • Spanning Tree Protocol: Disabled.
  • IPv6: Disabled.
    • Previously completed
  • Enable DoS protection: Disabled.
    • Previously enabled and still is.
  • Set time zone to your area.
    • Previously completed
  • Format JFFS partition at next boot: Yes.
    • N/A; I've not utilized JFFS to date
  • Any other options not specified above is left at it's default setting following the above reset to factory defaults above.
    • Unknown as it's possible I may have performed some other configuration changes to suit my needs which may not be listed above. Such as I create static entries for all devices in order to manage and know the specific IP of each/all.
    • FWIW, my LAN is 172.23.0.1/23 (255.255.254.0); range: 172.23.0.1 - 172.23.1.255
At this point, reboot the router (via gui) twice, waiting 5 minutes before the second reboot (this allows the JFFS partition to be formatted and then available).
    • I've not utilized JFFS to date

Now, if needed, Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs. Reboot and wait 5 minutes after the router comes up.
    • N/A; I've not utilized JFFS to date
--------------------------------------

Instead of utilizing JFFS -
As I'm also able to log into my router via SSH, I'd also like to ask if there might be a fairly straight forward method which I can 1) query/list/cat the contents/Client Lists of the QoS Bandwidth Limiter, and/or 2) modify them?
And would also like to know the same for any of the other configurations.

TIA
Scott

Scott - Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have been using build 380.57 with RT-AC68 since its release with no problems until today.

Today, I wanted to enable a machine to use full bandwidth so I unchecked the box that enforces the limits. After that, ALL the machines that I had with limits went away. I have not been able to reapply these limits to the machines as it will not save. I enter all the info and then hit apply. When it reloads, I have "no data in table".

Merlin - do you have any suggestions?

Thanks to all.

Scott - Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have been using build 380.57 with RT-AC68 since its release with no problems until today.

Today, I wanted to enable a machine to use full bandwidth so I unchecked the box that enforces the limits. After that, ALL the machines that I had with limits went away. I have not been able to reapply these limits to the machines as it will not save. I enter all the info and then hit apply. When it reloads, I have "no data in table".

Merlin - do you have any suggestions?

Thanks to all.

t2clej,

I finally was able to get it updated, not sure what or how though. I've rebooted the router several times, tried different browsers, disabled QoS/enabled QoS, but continued having the same issue.

It's real irritating because whenever I might need to add/remove/modify just one thing within the QoS Client List, it's inevitable that my complete list will disappear, and repopulating the list fails the majority of the time.

Merlin, any ideas on how to troubleshoot or what to do? Also, as I'm also able to log into my router via SSH, I'd also like to ask if there might be a fairly straight forward method which I can 1) query/list/cat the contents/Client Lists of the QoS Bandwidth Limiter, and/or 2) modify them?
And would also like to know the same for any of the other configurations.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott - I was able to repopulate my list using chrome not safari (I saw where tried different browser). However, even though I have the rules in place, they are not being enforced. I setup son's xbox to have 3.5 Mb/s max download; however, today he went to download large update and it maxed out my connection (15Mb/s down).

I'm not sure what to do. Currently, I'm looking at other wired routers as well as Ubiquiti solution my neighbor just installed. Let me know if you figure this out. Thanks.

Scott - I was able to repopulate my list using chrome not safari (I saw where tried different browser). However, even though I have the rules in place, they are not being enforced. I setup son's xbox to have 3.5 Mb/s max download; however, today he went to download large update and it maxed out my connection (15Mb/s down).

I'm not sure what to do. Currently, I'm looking at other wired routers as well as Ubiquiti solution my neighbor just installed. Let me know if you figure this out. Thanks.

I've not had a chance to test the b/w limits, but I'm thinking that even though I got my list repopulated, the limits are not working based on what I've been experiencing.

Which Ubiquiti is your neighbor using, and how's it working out for them? I've also thought about get an Ubiquiti.

Scott

I've not had a chance to test the b/w limits, but I'm thinking that even though I got my list repopulated, the limits are not working based on what I've been experiencing.

Which Ubiquiti is your neighbor using, and how's it working out for them? I've also thought about get an Ubiquiti.

Scott

Scott,

He has the Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite 3port router (less than $100) and the Unifi AC LR access points (about $108 each). I ordered that router and two of the access points last night. I know the setup/configuration will be more complicated than the Asus. I'll try to post how it goes when I get it all setup.

I'm not sure I need the new access points as the ubiquiti router should handle the QoS. I may just use the new router and my two existing RT-AC68s.

Jack

For learning and experimenting with the Asuswrt bandwidth limiter feature. It is not for the faint of heart. I took the ASUS bandwidth limiter logic and made it into a script. Taken from here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/380.57/release/src/router/rc/qos.c

Most of this features is untested because I needed it for only one purpose: to control a wild Roku on my network. And it's nice to be able to tweak it, if necessary.

Example:

/jffs/scripts/firewall-start
Code:
#!/bin/sh
source /jffs/home/qos start $1 "1>A2:3F:51:5B:87:21>1024>256>0<1>192.168.1.235>1024>256>1<1>192.168.1.240-192.168.1.245>768>128>2"
# put your other firewall rules here

The format of the bandwidth limiter rules are specified the same way as ASUS does, with a ">" character as a field delimiter, and with a "<" character as a rule delimiter.
Code:
[enabled]>[mac]>[download limit]>[upload limit]>[priority]
[enabled]>[ip]>[download limit]>[upload limit]>[priority]
[enabled]>[ip range]>[download limit]>[upload limit]>[priority]
[enabled]>[interface]>[download limit]>[upload limit]>[priority]

Here it is:
/jffs/home/qos
http://pastebin.com/N2wmwLLQ
https://cryptobin.co/1041t147, password is lol

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!