What's new

Clients not disconnecting from main mesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Richdem

New Around Here
I have an AC86U (Primary) & AC1900P (Mesh Node) which I have been using for about a year now. I noticed recently that most wireless clients on both 2.4 ghz & 5ghz do not seem to want to disconnect from the main router. I have my AC1900P in my family room which is at the south east of my house, my AC86U is in my living room in the north west of my house. As I come in through my front door the AC86U is the first router my devices connect too as the living room is next to the front door and hallway. I can move into the family room and sit right next too the AC1900P but my phone will not disconnect from the main router even though the 5ghz signal is considerably weaker.

I never had this before with the roaming assistant set at -60dBm, I have tried adjusting this and turning it off but nothing changes whereas when I first installed the system the roaming assistant worked wonderfully.

Hope someone can shed some light as to how I can fix this. Both routers are running the latest firmware

Sounds like you've got too much overlap between the router and node. Look in the wireless log on the 86U when your phone is near the node and still connected to the router. That RSSI value (or a little greater) should allow a better hand-off. Try setting to -50 dBm or higher. But be warned it might cause dropped connections when in other parts of your home where the overlap isn't so great.

Maybe a better option is to place the two routers farther apart. Or a combination of both solutions.

Sounds like you've got too much overlap between the router and node. Look in the wireless log on the 86U when your phone is near the node and still connected to the router. That RSSI value (or a little greater) should allow a better hand-off. Try setting to -50 dBm or higher. But be warned it might cause dropped connections when in other parts of your home where the overlap isn't so great.

Maybe a better option is to place the two routers farther apart. Or a combination of both solutions.

Thanks for the reply,

It almost seems that recently the main router became more powerful as this was working without any problems. My phone is currently on a table next too the mesh node and is connected to the main router and according to the wireless log at -68dBm. I will continue to tweak the roaming assist value. I also turned down the TX power. When I did this does it just change the main router TX power or does it adjust the mesh node as well?

have a look at your mobiles wifi-app and watch signal strength. AFAIK it wont be changed on nodes (poor implementation).