What's new

Cloud storage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snbdora

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out a good and cheap option ( short term ) to have my nas TS-464 back'd up to cloud. Wondering what option(s) people use?

For long term, I've been thinking about local storage using TrueNAS.

Thanks

Not sure on your setup but I've been using Cloudberry for a number of years now to facilitate backups to cloud storage.

Offers quite a bit of flexibility around storage options (pick your provider) and backup configuration. It also offers a command line version that I've used to automate backup testing.

What sort of data volume and access frequency are you talking about? Most of the cloud providers are cheap enough to store data on (particularly if you use a storage tier designed for infrequent access) but you may get stung on pulling the backup back.

Depends on the amount of data. If it's a few hundred gigabytes, then consider Google Drive or Onedrive (the former tends to be faster). Both are supported by HBS3, and can be very cheap for their 1 TB plans.

Personally, I have a very small amount of data that requires offsite backup, so I just do a daily sync of that data to my desktop, which is backed up to Carbonite. For local less critical data (such as my videos/music), I back them up to a cheap TS-228. It's not ideal tho, that NAS can barely hit 80 MB/s when running RTRR/rsync, but it takes very little space.

rsync.net is the only place I would use if cloud, but mainly I would have multiple local nas units as backups.