What's new

Cold start sometimes needed for routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xlarge

Regular Contributor
I don't have the full picture but during the last years my home router has fall down (not reachable in any way) several times.

In my summer cottage (300 km away) with webcamera etc. seveal times (months between) I suddenly missed connection on my LTE CPE (ALF-U) router. I tried watchdog and a cheduled Reboot, but the problem accoured again (but more seldon). The only way I found to start the system again was to contact my local nabour and ask him to shut down / on the power in the main fuse - box. It worked.

After that I have installed a mobil socket from my alarm company which is not connected to my network, only by air to the mobil public net. This solution saved me some days ago as I could put on an out the power to the router - via an app on my phone with success.

But I also had same type of problem on my home ASUS 68U router. Suddenly it closed all wifi and subnet without any reason. And if I had been away everything connected to the broadband would be out of order. Therefore I am going to use a simular mobil socket reachbar from everywhere to do a cold start also on my home router.

Of course one should think scheduled reboot can be enough, but I think the old welknown "coldstart" is the winner also here.

This not a question, more info to others. We all depend on our homenet and when its down everybody cry. My solution works.

But I also had same type of problem on my home ASUS 68U router. Suddenly it closed all wifi and subnet without any reason. And if I had been away everything connected to the broadband would be out of order. Therefore I am going to use a simular mobil socket reachbar from everywhere to do a cold start also on my home router.

Of course one should think scheduled reboot can be enough, but I think the old welknown "coldstart" is the winner also here.

I remember seeing WAN monitoring script with reboot option somewhere on SNB. Even the $3 rebooter is not needed. :)

I remember seeing WAN monitoring script with reboot option somewhere on SNB. Even the $3 rebooter is not needed. :)

Still need to do the cold start - the relay thing I mentioned does that by removing power on the router when connectivity is lost...

I don't like cutting power on electronics with RAM and Flash inside. It may create more serious issues over time.

I don't like cutting power on electronics with RAM and Flash inside. It may create more serious issues over time.

Then OP needs to sort the problem - the Asus 68U's are generally stable, so if it is losing WAN connectivity, it's likely a bad power supply (seriously), or fix his broadband connection...

Rebooting (or power cycling) is a bandaid/workaround

Many years ago, I used a digital timer to solve this sort of problem. It would shut off the power for 1 minute. I presume these devices are still on the market for $20-30.

Perhaps a bandaid solution, but a valid issue for some people, even if it is once a year or less. I would personally opt for a hard reboot over a scheduled one for a remote / inaccessible device. Particularly a device like a router which can easily handle the cycling.

My experience is that most routers sometimes need a cold start. (A good lesson from the old days). Most routers have the option of watchdog or scheduled restart, but my experience is that even if this is set to on, something can set the router out of order. Nice to hear of other cheap mechanical solutions, but I chose my mobile solution from my alarm company (they offer components for power administration of everything and one simple component for power on / off cost me about USD 20 with lifelong e-sim. Should it does not function, I have free on place service - so I think I am 100% secure.

A must for my router in my summer cottage about 300 km away from home. Need it for Open VPN connection.

Then OP needs to sort the problem - the Asus 68U's are generally stable, so if it is losing WAN connectivity, it's likely a bad power supply (seriously), or fix his broadband connection...

Agree. I don't know why I have to use the power knot on the ASUS several times a year. It's connected to a fiber broadband with no downtime.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!