What's new

Color neutral computing terminology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't mean for this to start a discussion in this thread, and if it develops into one then maybe a separate thread is in order maybe in a separate forum.

It is time to move our idiomatic terminology from blacklist and whitelist to blocklist and allowedlist, or some such. @Adamm, @thelonelycoder and @Martineau would be our leaders here.

This would follow along with the deprecated use of master/slave and the similar moves within other codespaces, like Android and FreeBDS.

I'm sorry but to be blunt this is one of the silliest things I've seen on this forum. If any user finds Skynet's terminology offensive they are more then welcome to use an alternative solution. I'm all for racial equality but this is just a step too far in the crazy direction. Are we also going to petition NASA to rephrase the term Black Hole to something more inclusive like Rainbow Hole? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but to be blunt this is one of the silliest things I've seen on this forum. If any user finds Skynet's terminology offensive they are more then welcome to use an alternative solution. I'm all for racial equality but this is just a step too far in the crazy direction. Are we also going to petition NASA to rephrase the term Black Hole to something more inclusive like Rainbow Hole? :rolleyes:
That would mean Pi-hole has to change their naming scheme ;)

Since you were the first to take action, you may as well go all-in and change “white” as well. No half-measures in this climate.
The heat is rising, climate change is real. Or maybe not at the source country of the debate at hand.
I propose barragelist, shutlist and passlist for blockingfile, blacklist and whitelist. That should clear all concerns and may even help the environment because people will ask what they do/mean. Means they're spending more time at home reseaching instead of enjoying a motorized pleasure.

The heat is rising, climate change is real. Or maybe not at the source country of the debate at hand.
I propose barragelist, shutlist and passlist for blockingfile, blacklist and whitelist. That should clear all concerns and may even help the environment because people will ask what they do/mean. Means they're spending more time at home reseaching instead of enjoying a motorized pleasure.

:cool::D

This is getting nonsense IMHO.
Morgan Freeman once said: "do you want to know how to stop racism? Please stop talking of it".

And his point was talk was not enough and action was needed, which was the original intent of the idea as it applies to coding terms in general.

And his point was talk was not enough and action was needed, which was the original intent of the idea as it applies to coding terms in general.
@5stringdeath ....And you still talking about it. Let's move on back to the Diversion topic.

Aside from that being completely false, I though you had closed the conversation in your last post replying to me.

Instead you’ve done nothing BUT continue it in a mocking fashion. Very adult.

Completely false according to who...you? It was close, but peolpe like me and you keep replyin to this nonsense. Lets move on...

Last edited by a moderator:
Point taken, this could take years of planning, coordinating and executing.
In other words: Unlikely to happen.
OMG. I apologize in advance for this, since it is way off topic--but this is about as pithy a summary of The Great Gatsby as I have come across!! And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessy into the past.

And yet I feel Diversion does make steady progress towards the green light.

The people in power (Gov't) and others with agendas love this. Let the little people think they have control and some input, but keep the status-quo the same.

I'm with @thelonelycoder on this issue. No reason to change anything, here. This forum, thread, and the script is nothing about 'race', it is about 'tech'. Which has and knows no 'color'. Nor will changing anything here help with the 'cause' that some strive so hard to attribute to it.

I believe this 're-writing' of history will do more damage than good in the end. Changing a rose's name still equates the new name to the sweet-smelling flower. Changing the name doesn't change the connotation. It just becomes the new way to slight the same group(s).

In other words, it lets the younger generation have 'their' own slang and seem different from their parents' generation (while being effectively the same).

The 'change' that is supposed to happen doesn't work with just words or lip-service, it happens a little closer to the heart.

The people in power (Gov't) and others with agendas love this. Let the little people think they have control and some input, but keep the status-quo the same.

I'm with @thelonelycoder on this issue. No reason to change anything, here. This forum, thread, and the script is nothing about 'race', it is about 'tech'. Which has and knows no 'color'. Nor will changing anything here help with the 'cause' that some strive so hard to attribute to it.

I believe this 're-writing' of history will do more damage than good in the end. Changing a rose's name still equates the new name to the sweet-smelling flower. Changing the name doesn't change the connotation. It just becomes the new way to slight the same group(s).

In other words, it lets the younger generation have 'their' own slang and seem different from their parents' generation (while being effectively the same).

The 'change' that is supposed to happen doesn't work with just words or lip-service, it happens a little closer to the heart.

I though this conversation was supposed to be shut down. No?

If we’re allowed to continue the debate from both sides of the issue then please let it be known.

I though this conversation was supposed to be shut down. No?

If we’re allowed to continue the debate from both sides of the issue then please let it be known.

So, you don't like what I said, yes? :)

So, you don't like what I said, yes? :)

It’s not a matter of liking or disliking what you said. It’s a matter of allowing discussion of the topic from both sides. I’m trying to respect the wishes of the moderator to terminate the discussion here but one view point continues pontificating.

My apologies then. I did not see a moderator ask that. I just see the conversation continuing.

I don't see anyone pontificating here though, the points made are reasonable for both sides of the conversation.

And yet I feel Diversion does make steady progress towards the green light.
Please elaborate. Did I miss a promised goal or forget a feature that I agreed to add?

Please elaborate. Did I miss a promised goal or forget a feature that I agreed to add?
No. I thought Diversion was complet, finito, nothing more could improve it, RTM and (ahem) gone gold, years ago. And you still find ways to augment it.

But you see, "the green light" is an idiom taught to all American teens. Beat into them, as it were. The unattainable ideal. Think hansei and the art of kaizen.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!