What's new

Comcast XB6 Wireless Gateway CGM4140COM initial impression

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan-H

Regular Contributor
Comcast updated my modem to an "XB6" CGM4140COM and I thought I would share initial "consumer" type impressions.

It runs in bridge mode, no WiFi enabled ( radios disabled), and have their voice package.

Runs hot, and has a noisy little fan and not easily wall mounted. Installed yesterday and the fan came on at powerup and stays running..

Measuring temps with a small infrared temp scanner from one inch away:

Temp of the CGM4140COM 114F

For comparison:
Surface temp of the walls and desk in the room is 66 F.
Temp of a small APC UPS is 77 F
Temp of an AC 68U is 82 F

The fan noise is now the loudest item in my office.

This needs to go... Time to shop for alternatives.

If I drop their voice service there are more modem choices, but that may take a while for me to phase into something new.

Last edited:
Two thoughts:

1) maybe you just have a bad unit? Might be able to swap for another with Comcast

2) wikidevi says is has 8x8 ac wifi. That would be remarkable if true. maybe give it a shot?

I stopped by their retail store today and listened to another new unit. Same scratchy sound. The Rep said was aware of issues. After some discussion he suggested buying my own which is the path I'll be taking.

I guess my take away is avoid the XB6 hardware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!