What's new

comcrap has been dropping connection for over a week

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sparks

Occasional Visitor
They say they are working on it... LOL

Any way not about every 10-30 minutes it will just disconnect and reconnect.

My problem is everything connected to my router gets drops and has to reconnect.

What does the internet have to do with making the router reset all connections?

Router is an Asus 3100 and modem is an Arris sb6183....it all worked fine before this.

Maybe you need a new power adapter and router is randomly restarting?
Hard to help without more information about your failures.

Last edited:
@sparks, what firmware do you have on your RT-AC3100? This is one of the most powerful and stable models that Asus has ever produced. ;)

When was the last time you performed a full M&M Config on it? Please see my signature below for the link and further details on how to get your router back to a good/known state.

@sparks, what firmware do you have on your RT-AC3100? This is one of the most powerful and stable models that Asus has ever produced. ;)

When was the last time you performed a full M&M Config on it? Please see my signature below for the link and further details on how to get your router back to a good/known state.

@L&LD, I have a similar setup: RT-AC3100 and Arris SB6183 but I have Spectrum and this router's connection drops very often making it extremely unreliable. I separated the signals 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and when I try to connect the fire stick, smart tv or any device (Laptops [Win or Mac], iphones) they all get the same error on both bands "Unable to connect." This happens every 48-72 hours (1 week, if I'm lucky) before i have to reset everything again. Spectrum has come out twice to check the lines and they all check out fine, the first time I was told that using a VPN for work slows everyone else's connection in the network -- Is this true? I've never heard about this. Every so often my wired connection drops in speed from 400Mbps to 975Kbps. Afterwards the customer service rep advised to get one of their modems I believe it's manufactured by Ubee. The new modem worked fine for about 24hrs before it started getting "T4 errors" (rep called it this) and further explained that the error is seen on their end when there's a leak in the line, tech came for the second time and everything was "ok," all levels were within range. Before contacting the ISP i worked with ASUS, which helped me change a couple settings and reinstall the firmware version from the ASUS website (Version 3.0.0.4.384.81116). Then, the rep verified that the issue persisted and and sent me a word doc form to fill out some and make a diagram of my network for the engineers to help me out. I bought this router from BestBuy brand new in December and now can't return it. This past month has been nothing but resets ALL WEEK LONG.

Would ASUSWRT Merlin correct the issues I'm experiencing? i don't know what else to do. Please help:(, this is the closest thing to my issue that I've found. Thank you in advance.

@s4v1r I can't say if it will fix it or not. :(

But you may want to read the M&M Config and also the Nuclear Reset guides in the link in my signature below and try as many tips as you can on your current setup.

I do recommend RMerlin firmware of course, and v384.15 final was just released. :)

Try once again with your current setup and decide then what to do with RMerlin.

It may also help to post some more details of your network too.

@L&LD, I will give those a try. Wow! that's really good, seems like they update it way more than ASUS does. I will download it now and have it ready.

Try once again with your current setup and decide then what to do with RMerlin:
- - I have flashed twice with ASUS firmware, I think I'm ready to go with Merlin. After reading several posts, I feel confident that this might be the fix. (Fingers Crossed)

My network has the Ubee modem and my router next to it, i recently moved it to the location it's at right now and it's central to the whole house. I try to keep IoT devices on the 2.4Ghz and streaming devices, laptops and cellphones on the 5Ghz band. i turned on the QoS but it forces me to use the Trend Micro which i don't see how I could benefit from this. I have the work computer hardwired through UTP-CAT5e that I ran and goes from my office to the hallway where the router is located. The connection also has a coax that runs parallel to the CAT5e. Could crosstalk be the issue here? Seems very unlikely because I tested the cables at different times of the day and they were working fine. I am going to grab the logs and make a backup of it tomorrow before I try your steps.

I am going to try to test the channels the way you recommended in one of your links. From one of your posts, I see you recommend to stay with 1,6 and 11 on the 2.4Ghz. Should I set it to a channel and leave it alone until it becomes a problem?

I appreciate your guidance! :D

@s4v1r you're very welcome.

I would be setting it on a specific Control channel and keep notes for a period of time (a 'normal' network day for you would be a good period to test for). The best channel will win, but of course, it may be just the least crappy too. :)

Make sure you verify your downloads with a file hash checker utility. I use Hash Tab and verify the firmware files each time before I flash anything. :)

http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/

I hope that getting your router onto RMerlin firmware, along with a full reset to a good/known state will be enough. If it isn't, we're all here to help you further. And with a proper/full reset performed, that should help a lot with providing you good help. :)

@L&LD, I am finding so many things im getting a bit overwhelmed. Can I just use the backup .cfg file I made from the webGUI? or should I use the NVRAM Save utility that Merlin recommends in this link: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Should I create a JFFS partition to save my custom options?
Should I SSH or Telnet onto the router to run the scripts? I know i have to turnoff telnet afterwards given it's unsecured.
Im full of questions o_O

I think I want to add some swap to my router, do you have any links I can follow?
Thank you once again!

Update: NVM, I found your amtm settings. Trying the swap now. This is pretty cool. Any other tools to enhance my experience?

Last edited:
@s4v1r I would suggest you use 'i' and download the @Jack Yaz connmon script (J1).

What that will do in addition to showing you the status of your connection over time, is add a Help and Support tab in the Addons tab it will add to the bottom left of the GUI.

With this Help and Support tab, you will have a direct link to any of the scripts you may be potentially interested in. :)

What I would suggest is to start with:
  • Format USB drive to Ext4 with journaling enabled.
  • Create a swap file.
  • Enable the disk checker in amtm.
  • Install Diversion Standard which will also install Entware which is required for many of the remaining scripts.
  • Install Skynet.
  • Install scMerlin.
  • Install Scribe and uiScribe.
Remember that you can disable Diversion if it interferes with your browsing (but read up on how you can customize it to your needs too).

Additional scripts you may want in the future are:
  • YazFi
  • Unbound
  • ntpMerlin
Get comfortable with the first few and add spice as required. :)

@L&LD, I wanted to thank you again for all your help and i hope this helps others in the future. I tried a couple of those features but found that Diversion bugs down the router and makes webUI run really slow. I am still using the swap but idk if the router is even able to use it because I only had a 16GB usb 3.0 flash drive available to use. I might give YazFi a try.

Also after disabling MU-MIMO, the devices at the house started buffering significantly. Would you recommend i turn the option back on. Right now I have an extra little Arlo router for my cameras.
The following settings are disabled at the moment:
- MU-MIMO
- Airtime Fairness
- Implicit Beamforming (Explicit is fine)
(From Rmerlin in your MU-MIMO link)

Also I am trying to test the speed of my network but dont know how to do it other than using dslreports/mlab/testmy.net/etc.
What is the recommended way to do it, i saw in one of your post you said to send files to other computers on the net but i don't know how to do it. I am using a mac. Thank you once again!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!