What's new

Complete router meltdown after installing scripts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

privacyguy123

Thought I'd just post all the problems together. on ASUS RT-AX58U with latest Merlin firmware. Adguardhome, scmerlin, ntpmerlin, scribe, YazDHCP installed

1. My DDNS address that was previously registered just fine is now coming back as "used"

2. Trying to use Port Forwarding for qBittorrent showing all sorts of strange behaviour - first it's extremely choppy internet with qBittorrent client open even with nothing downloading (because it can't because Port Forwarding is broken ...) I am trying to use NAT-PMP forwarding provided by my VPN provider ProtonVPN but when I request to open a port I can't see it open on port checker websites, for instance.

3. Every reboot shows a new weird error in sytem log ... this makes no sense to me. What is changing every reboot to produce a new error? I had to get rid of YazFi for instance as it was generating all sorts of spam in the logs. Am I using some sort of script or package that is unsupported by my router perhaps?

Start with removing adguard home (needs more RAM than your router has), ntpmerlin (not needed at all) and scribe (needed only in remote usecase).
I'm afraid AGH has to stay - I'll try the others though. None of these explain why qBittorrent port forwarding is busted however.

Last edited:
None of these explain why qBittorrent port forwarding is busted however.
Port forwarding is not busted, it forwards ports from the WAN interface to a LAN client. What you want is to forward ports from the VPN interface to a LAN client. There is no GUI option to do that.

There are already other posts from people asking the same question. Part of the confusion comes from people following the guide on the ProtonVPN website. Those instructions are for a PC that's running a VPN client. They were not written for a router.

Port forwarding is not busted, it forwards ports from the WAN interface to a LAN client. What you want is to forward ports from the VPN interface to a LAN client. There is no GUI option to do that.

There are already other posts from people asking the same question. Part of the confusion comes from people following the guide on the ProtonVPN website. Those instructions are for a PC that's running a VPN client. They were not written for a router.
Perhaps you could point me towards the right post? I am new to having a fancy router lol

EDIT: Manually specifying the VPN adapter address here seems to trigger qBittorrent into allowing connections...

1696080672660.png

Last edited:
Perhaps you could point me towards the right post? I am new to having a fancy router lol
I'm not aware of any posts where they have got it working on the router. But I don't use anything like this so I haven't been following the subject closely. For example, see here. But as I said, they're trying to follow instructions that are meant to be run on a PC rather than a router. My understanding is that ProtonVPN issues a dynamic port rather than a fixed one. This might make scripting a router based solution more difficult. At the end of the day it would be much better/easier to run the VPN client on the PC.

I'm not aware of any posts where they have got it working on the router. But I don't use anything like this so I haven't been following the subject closely. For example, see here. But as I said, they're trying to follow instructions that are meant to be run on a PC rather than a router. My understanding is that ProtonVPN issues a dynamic port rather than a fixed one. This might make scripting a router based solution more difficult. At the end of the day it would be much better/easier to run the VPN client on the PC.
I'm very aware of how ProtonVPNs forwarding works ... running natpmpc will keep the port open for 60 seconds OR when a program requests to use the port, it is unneccessary to run these scripts in the background in a loop if you keep your qBittorrent client open and connected to the port, like I do.

It seems I've got connections coming in/out with above screenshot ... I just manually typed in the VPN adapters address in rather than choosing my laptop MAC.

You know, I don't really care.
I find it odd that you are
a) New to a router.
b) Certain that nothing you have done could possibly be the problem
c) Unwilling to do anything suggested to help your low powered router perform its tasks

Best of luck.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!